Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
also, people said 7/8/9 speed was dead and i'm pretty sure you can get decently high end components for those systems still.
New old stock only for the most part.....nothing of quality is being really built for those speeds right now. Market demand shifts and attention goes to the newer products and legacy product attention is limited to 'service replacement' levels.

26" will never die, you just won't really see any further development in it.
The 26" wheel size will never die.....but will for modern mountain bikes. Used bikes, cruisers, comfort, etc will still exist. Manufacturers are pulling their 26" mountain offerings left and right and I suspect that you won't find much at all for MY16.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
After my old Airbomb team frame custom 26" Steel Hardtail got stolen out of my garage, I was riding my FS solely. Missed it a lot, but when I saw the new Ritchey 650b steel hardtail, it seemed to pay homage to the old 26 goats as well as inch into the future a bit with updated Ritchey geometry.

They are only sold frame only, so you have to custom build it, but that is half of the fun.

I must say, I love the bike in every way over my old 26er, but haven't had a chance to try a 29er hardtail. Ritchey offers that as well, with adjustable dropouts, but I'm happy as is.

One thing I find interesting about this 27.5" / 650B is that the OVERALL diameter of the wheel/2.1 tire combo is about identical to a 23C/700 Road Bike wheel and tire. So that to me says something in regards to the goldilox / fitting like a glove-ness of the 27.5. Yes I spend most of my miles on road but started MTB racing when I was a paperboy back in 1991 in Bend,Or on my Specialized Stumpjumper with Future Shock.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/papecat/media/IMG_0739_zpsc65ea56b.jpg.html

edit:

Tom Ritchey is a real hands on fabricator and innovator

18 minute autobiographical vid, worth the watch: http://vimeo.com/47207697

·
Wear Your Seatbelts
3,199 Posts
That is a badass looking Ritchey. I didn't know they still made bikes it's been so long since I've seen one.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I still think it is personal preference. Honestly myself and many of the serious riders I know are perfectly happy with 26" wheels. If I had stayed in central Texas I would have switched to a 29'er simply because of the large chunky rock everywhere.

Two of my friends here run both 26" and 29" bikes, one feels it is an advantage for the roots, the other doesn't feel the trade off in nimbleness/tight corners is worth it.

From what I see, 27.5" was pushed by the manufacturers to force people into buying new bikes. My hardtail frame is an '04, but every component on it has been upgraded over time. Change the wheel size and your frame, fork, wheelset, drivetrain gearing, etc no longer works. There wasn't a significant enough change in technology to justify new bikes to many when they can be so easily upgraded, so they had to change it.

Giant has a video where they talk about how great the 29ers are when they came out, now they are saying they overshot the mark and went "too big" and 27.5 is the perfect size, everything else will be phased out.

Specialized wasn't on board with it at all as they were still selling bikes, until the industry declared 26ers dead and they had to come out with something. There was a review where their 26" and 27.5" Stumpjumper was ridden back to back by testers who claimed they could barely distinguish a difference.

I don't doubt that the people who go out and buy new 27.5" bikes are satisfied with them, but I think it has more to do with cumulative advances in technology than the wheel size change. Motocross bikes are towards the cutting edge of similar technology, wheel sizes are unchanged since the 70's. However if you hop on a dirt bike with 20-30 very small tweaks over a two year range it is astounding how much better it is.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I still think it is personal preference. Honestly myself and many of the serious riders I know are perfectly happy with 26" wheels. If I had stayed in central Texas I would have switched to a 29'er simply because of the large chunky rock everywhere.

Two of my friends here run both 26" and 29" bikes, one feels it is an advantage for the roots, the other doesn't feel the trade off in nimbleness/tight corners is worth it.

From what I see, 27.5" was pushed by the manufacturers to force people into buying new bikes. My hardtail frame is an '04, but every component on it has been upgraded over time. Change the wheel size and your frame, fork, wheelset, drivetrain gearing, etc no longer works. There wasn't a significant enough change in technology to justify new bikes to many when they can be so easily upgraded, so they had to change it.

Giant has a video where they talk about how great the 29ers are when they came out, now they are saying they overshot the mark and went "too big" and 27.5 is the perfect size, everything else will be phased out.

Specialized wasn't on board with it at all as they were still selling bikes, until the industry declared 26ers dead and they had to come out with something. There was a review where their 26" and 27.5" Stumpjumper was ridden back to back by testers who claimed they could barely distinguish a difference.

I don't doubt that the people who go out and buy new 27.5" bikes are satisfied with them, but I think it has more to do with cumulative advances in technology than the wheel size change. Motocross bikes are towards the cutting edge of similar technology, wheel sizes are unchanged since the 70's. However if you hop on a dirt bike with 20-30 very small tweaks over a two year range it is astounding how much better it is.

First off, Specialized is one of the companies that dictate the trend in the bicycle industry, so don't say they were forced to change.

As almost every manufacturer updates their suspension technology they change the frame to 27.5. It is here to stay and is going in the right direction. People love to compare MTB to dirt bikes, but they have almost nothing in common except two wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
270 Posts
Trigger Carbon Team - TRIGGER 27.5 - OVERMOUNTAIN - MOUNTAIN - BIKES - 2015

Personally, I think 26 is just fine. I have a 26 Scalpel and a 29 hardtail. I much prefer the Scalpel. My view of the evolution of 29rs:

Bike Co guy 1"we need to sell more bikes"
Bike Co guy 2"but everyone already has a ballin ass bike"
Bike Co guy 3" let's create a gimmick so idiots with too much cash will buy two bikes"
Bike Co guy 2"let's make a new wheel size like...29?"
Bike Co guy 1"fuck yeah!"

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think it's all about personal preference, riding terrain, and skill as to what size the rider would prefer. A lot of the old school guys might not like the new trending sizes and stick to their 26ers. However, "newbies" just getting into the sport will probably get talked into whatever is "hot" or new. I think mnt. biking has grown in the past 4-5 years especially since the 29ers have came out.

That being said, within the past 2 years, I have gotten back into riding after several years off a bike without a motor. I guess I was a little old school and stubborn myself and bought a Yeti ARC 26er off CL a couple years ago. Rode it for about 5 months and sold it to a buddy who wanted it more than I did. Ended up riding a buddies 29er right after I sold the Yeti and since I was bike less and I thought the 29er was the ticket for me. So I bought a trek Hifi 29er for myself/wife to ride. I rode it for several months and slowly started hating it the more I rode it compared to my 26er. I dedicated it to the wifey to learn and get some seat time on since we had it. The only thing I liked about the 29er was how well it rolled and smoothed the trail out.

In the mean time, I did a few test/demo rides with the SC lineup and settled on the Bronson C over the solo/5010.

To me the 27.5 bikes are truly the best of both other sizes, they roll like a 29er (however, not quite as good) and are nimble like a 26er (however, not quite as good). I liked the 26er a lot since I race motorcycles I ride aggressive most of the time so being able to throw something around was nice. When I ride a 29er just felt like I was forcing a semi down a small back country road. Now I won't say every 29er would feel this way to me, just 3 of the ones I rode all did.

I believe people will always find something to b!tch about and nothing will ever be perfect or the right size. But I am super happy with my X01 Bronson C rolling on some I9's. Brings a smile to my face when gravity is in my favor on any trail!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Pulling the trigger on a Norco 7.2 sight. Gonna trade out some plumbing work for part of it. My local bike shop owner needs some work done so it's a win win. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should go for the 7.1. Gotta order it and it won't be here till march anyway. Just hate the color of the 7.1. Where the hell do they come up with these gawdawful colors:barf:
7.2 has X1 drive train vs. 7.1 has XX1.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Got a friend that just got one. She loves the way it rides.

Between the 7.1 and 7.2..... The difference you'll see is in weight. If you can get the 7.1 for little extra money I'd do it. If it's going to be a decent amount more then I would just pocket the cash.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
How is the Sight? I have a Kona Process 134 and love the 27.5 size. Love the bike in general except the weight but I can't afford them light bikes.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
5010s are amazing. Bronson's are 'too much bike' for most trails. I've been on one and it also just felt really awkward. But that's just how I personally felt. I was also on a pretty buff XC trail.

I like 27.5. You can feel the 'faster' feeling like a 29er, but they still handle closer to a 26" bike. You feel more 'in the bike' rather than 'on top of the bike (like most 29ers).

my first 29 was my first 'real' mtb. it was a shitty Haro. Handled like crap, really put a bad taste in my mouth for 29. So ibuilt a FS 26. Then I built a 29 rigid and started riding that a bunch. Once i got used to how it handled i decided to switch to a FS 29 as it just works better on most of the Front Range trails. I wouldn't want to do full park/DH trails with it though. Fiance now has the old 26" FS but with a shorter fork and stuff to make it not as 'freeride' like.

I've replaced my 26" FS big travel bike with a 140/120 29er single pivot. It matches the trails in Colorado better. I found I just didn't need all the travel with my 26" bike 95% of the time.

I do like 27.5, but i build my bikes with used components and 27.5 is all new and expensive now.

26 aint' dead, but it's damn near there. The only people that want them KNOW they want one, and that' just not a huge number of people. Most people who buy bikes know dick other than what the bike shop tells them. Everyone 'thinks' they need a 29er these days. Last year when I was at Kokopelli some person said i had a 'vintage 26" bike' and she was on some piece of shit $800 29er (I was on my old Turner 5.Spot with high end components). People are fucking stupid. Hell, most people on the trail can't even tell if a bike is a 26/27.5/29 without reading the tire.

Next kool aid wheel size will be ISO 635. It's between 27.5 and 29. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I sucked it up and ordered the7.1. Hard to part with that much dough but figured what the hell. Will be here in mid march. Can't wait..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I rode 26 for years but at 6'3 they allways felt too small, after switching to a 29 I loved the size and the feeling that I wasnt just perched ontop off it. I didnt like the extra effort involved in getiing it to switch direction quickly due to the extra weight and size of the wheels.
Recently I have moved to a 27.5 Giant Trance and I love it it has the better rolling of a 29 but the weight and speed of a 26.

Also the first time I have tried a seat dropper bloody brilliant!

There is some good info on the giant site about the wheel size differences, the 26 will allways be around but I think the 29 will become harder to find.

27.5 Technology | Technology - Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I rode 26 for years but at 6'3 they allways felt too small, after switching to a 29 I loved the size and the feeling that I wasnt just perched ontop off it. I didnt like the extra effort involved in getiing it to switch direction quickly due to the extra weight and size of the wheels.

Recently I have moved to a 27.5 Giant Trance and I love it it has the better rolling of a 29 but the weight and speed of a 26.

Also the first time I have tried a seat dropper bloody brilliant!

There is some good info on the giant site about the wheel size differences, the 26 will allways be around but I think the 29 will become harder to find.

27.5 Technology | Technology - Giant Bicycles | New Zealand

Hey man. You checking out Crankworx in Rotorua in a couple of weeks?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would love to go but I am down in Christchurch, it's hard enough getting enough time to get out on my bike. Sounds like it will be good Rotorua is a great place to ride so many different trails are you going?

·
Registered
299 Posts
just took mine to Louisville megacavern this past sunday. first time on a 27.5 coming from a 26er (giant xtc to a giant stance 27.5.1) and i thought the decreased rolling resistance was very noticeable with the bigger wheel... pretty good maneuverability also (stance is stock, may look into a shorter stem to quicken it up a bit). only thing i noticed was a tendency to push in the corners but that may have just been me not being used to the slacker head tube angle on the new bike, or not being used to the new ride in general. i think it will be awesome once i get used to it, everyone i ride with either has a 29er or a 27.5 and i felt like i was always pushing way harder than them to maintain the pace...

21 - 40 of 81 Posts