Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 76 has at least 1 burnt exhust valve. I am wonder what you guys think of having a local machine shop rebuild the head or do you think going with someone like Man A Fre who sells rebuilt heads for 350.00. THe bitch of MAF is shipping plus having to ship back my core. I live in a pretty small town so my machine shop sellection is pretty dam small. Dont know, kinda lean twards local shop but want opinions.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I'd send it local. Put all new valves in it while your at it. I was pretty shocked when the local machine shop did my FJ62 head for $250 with new valves.

·
Registered
982 Posts
the hardest part

of the job is getting lifting the head out of the engine bay,, that is unless you have a cherry picker. :D other than that its pretty easy :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
hey, if you---

have down time on it,get it to denver and i could do it for you,do you want the head milled a bit,probably should be,i can get it milled for $40-$50. if you supply me with the parts and you want to put in , say a valve or two and a set of seals easy $75. labor. let me know happy to help :D

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AVS60/40SPLIT said:
have down time on it,get it to denver and i could do it for you,do you want the head milled a bit,probably should be,i can get it milled for $40-$50. if you supply me with the parts and you want to put in , say a valve or two and a set of seals easy $75. labor. let me know happy to help :D

Thanks for the offer. I can do it myself, I have done head gaskets before and replaced GM heads. I am not worried about the job itself just wondering best options for a good reuilt head. ANd I do have a cherry picker.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
AVS60/40SPLIT said:
have down time on it,get it to denver and i could do it for you...
Did you still need the 2F I have saved for you? Also, I have 4 2F heads I need machined and maybe we could bring them all to the same place. Some shops will offer a discount if you need a lot of one thing done. Just a thought. I don't want to try to save money on an important part like the head but a good shop that does good work might be willing to work with us.

I have 5 if you coun't the rig I am selling back to Shawn/Magoo. He might go in on it as well depending on price. I know the 2F in Magoo(the truck) has a burnt valve.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
RustyNailJustin, treerootCO,
All those FJs between you and you still don't know which machine shop in your area works well with 2F heads? Too funny. I'll chalk it up to no major engine breakdowns between your two FJ fleets.

Seriously, may I recomend you interview your long time local mechanics that are not affiliated with a machine shop or are franchised. Here in Montana, I found the same two machine shops came up with nearly every mechanic (5 mach. shops total in town). Like I said, skip the corporate guys or the repair shops with a machine shop since they have their interests. The machine shop with a repair shop had the worst rep.

As an aside, if you're replacing the cam too, Clifford Racing claims they sell lifters that are lighter than stock (for longer life). Never used them though...yet. Clifford also can source ARP piston rod bolts to upgrade that weakness with 2F engines. Can't be their secret though.

Walt<><

·
Registered
154 Posts
Justin, there are several good shops between Medford and Grants Pass. I heard of a guy in medford that is downtown in a hole-in the wall place that really good at heads. The shop in Grants Pass is SAT, specialty auto and truck. Lindvig in Medford is real good too but might be expensive. I would ask around in Kfalls as I am sure there is someone that is just as good. My buddy had two valves replaced and maybe a guide and it was $170 or so, which included refacing all the valves. BTW, did you get a motor for your 40?

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4x4Poet said:
RustyNailJustin, treerootCO,
All those FJs between you and you still don't know which machine shop in your area works well with 2F heads? Too funny. I'll chalk it up to no major engine breakdowns between your two FJ fleets.

Seriously, may I recomend you interview your long time local mechanics that are not affiliated with a machine shop or are franchised. Here in Montana, I found the same two machine shops came up with nearly every mechanic (5 mach. shops total in town). Like I said, skip the corporate guys or the repair shops with a machine shop since they have their interests. The machine shop with a repair shop had the worst rep.

As an aside, if you're replacing the cam too, Clifford Racing claims they sell lifters that are lighter than stock (for longer life). Never used them though...yet. Clifford also can source ARP piston rod bolts to upgrade that weakness with 2F engines. Can't be their secret though.

Walt<><
Every time I have had 2F have major problems I have replaced it with Fuel injected V8. This is really the first 2F I have ever gave a chance and very well might be the last!

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KAN said:
Justin, there are several good shops between Medford and Grants Pass. I heard of a guy in medford that is downtown in a hole-in the wall place that really good at heads. The shop in Grants Pass is SAT, specialty auto and truck. Lindvig in Medford is real good too but might be expensive. I would ask around in Kfalls as I am sure there is someone that is just as good. My buddy had two valves replaced and maybe a guide and it was $170 or so, which included refacing all the valves. BTW, did you get a motor for your 40?

Thanks KAN. I have talked to a couple guys here in town that have recomended a shop here.

And I have not got a Fmotor for the 66 yet. If I had about 6 grand I wanted to spend on my 76 I would put the 2F in the 66 and put a ramjet in my 76.

·
Registered
982 Posts
i am so sorry

treerootCO said:
Did you still need the 2F I have saved for you? Also, I have 4 2F heads I need machined and maybe we could bring them all to the same place. Some shops will offer a discount if you need a lot of one thing done. Just a thought. I don't want to try to save money on an important part like the head but a good shop that does good work might be willing to work with us.

I have 5 if you coun't the rig I am selling back to Shawn/Magoo. He might go in on it as well depending on price. I know the 2F in Magoo(the truck) has a burnt valve.
i forgot all about it,i hope i havent put you out but funds have gotten tight,if things change i'll let you know, see if you still have one, again,very sorry i havent gotten back

·
Registered
982 Posts
heads

treerootCO said:

as far as heads,i just called havana machine in aurora, no discount for multi head work :shaking: i can get each head done for $40. each you might want to call and see what they would chage the retail customer 303-340-1444 let me know,

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Check on Stainless Steel intake and exhaust valves for a chevy.. I did that on my rig, actually cost less than toyota valves and they can re-use the old seats as the neck is thicker or something.. Dunno, gave em the specs per Mark Whatley years ago and had my head done.. Can't run cheapo gas anymore tho!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
tornadoalleycruiser said:
Check on Stainless Steel intake and exhaust valves for a chevy.. I did that on my rig, actually cost less than toyota valves and they can re-use the old seats as the neck is thicker or something.. Dunno, gave em the specs per Mark Whatley years ago and had my head done.. Can't run cheapo gas anymore tho!
Tornado, do you have to run premium or higher octane than regular because of the SS valves or because you milled the head or otherwise increased compression over stock?

Walt<><

1 - 14 of 14 Posts