Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across someone somewhere who did a fuel injection conversion on a 2F. It may have been in this area or someplace else. It sounds like a great way to extra horse pwer and milage. Does anyone know how, who, or where this can be done?

Joe:cool2:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
jasonm on this board is doing a megasquirt fi on his fj60. doing a writeup on mud in hardcore corner. (he goes by mace over there) im thinking of going this route on my 2f. just another option to look at.

chris:cool2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I successfully ran a TBI on my 2F for three years. It is now in Florida on another 2F. It is a great conversion. Try to stay away from Downey Off Road for your parts. They were happy to sell me the parts but when it came to Tech support there was none. Also, some incorrect parts were sent to me. I returned them and the approx. $100 was never credited to my CC account.

Sorry for the rant. The TBI was one of the best upgrades I made to my 2F.
Tom Quinn is on the LCML and is very knowledgable in the area of fuel injection for 2F's

·
Registered
3 Posts
sprung, what made the upgrade so great? reliability/starting ease? better fuel economy (what was the increase)? more power?
it is a really interesting option, looks fairly straightforward

·
Registered
477 Posts
Go to the tech section at Ih8mud. There are several articles on the TBI conversion. Best thing about it (IMO) is no more tuning of a carb. Planning to install my setup this winter. BTW - my parts thus far have been from the junkyard. I should only need a few items purchased new - fuel pump and a few sensors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn't find Ih8mud to check out the tech stuff. I would to know more about the TBI, particularly the parts list that I can get from the junkyard.

Joe

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm running a TBI conversion on a supercharged 22r. EFI control is Megasquirt. I'm VERY happy with it.
If you can get a TBI adapted to junk (physically) - I can probably help you get it to run very well.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Thanks, Berg!

Hmmm...Multiport. :smokin:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Multiport is basically a lot of work for almost no advantage other than bragging rights..

Most multiport system are batch fire anyway. So you are basically making a system that fires the same way as a TBI unit does but costs a hell of a lot more to set up.

I looked into it. Decided that a TBI unit would do me just fine.
Then I decided to be cheap and build everything myself :shaking:

·
Registered
11 Posts
The oatsoda.com site is mine, course it's more than due for some updates. Actually, there are some advantages to MPI. First, and this applies to any wet flow (throttle body) versus dry flow (MPI) manifold, there are a few advantages in the fact that your not flowing a fuel/air mixture through your entire intake manifold, such as less fuel dropping out of mixture (in straight sixes resulting in leaner mixture at front and rear cylinders), better cold starting (don't need manifold heat -- also helps keep air charge cooler). There are other advantages when you look at it from a design perspective; when you're using a MPI design and you don't need to worry about ultra smooth transitions and inside surface area and the like, you can ease the tuning of the manifold geometry for resonance. That's what my second MPI project entailed actually (this is not up on the oatsoda.com site, yet). I made a new MPI manifold with increased runner CS, and tuned geometry based on a Helmholtz acoustic resonance model. A flow test showed improvements more or less across the board (including some surprising low end improvements) and seat of the pants dyno confirmed. I would still love to put it on a chassis dyno to see what the HP numbers are like though.
j40joe: hit me with any questions you might have, this was mostly the focus of my research at university

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
SugaShane, I'd like to hear any recommendations for manifolds to use with any MPI system on a F/2F.

How did you find a manifold with more CS (crosssection?) and tuned geometry that fit a F/2F?

·
Registered
11 Posts
4x4Poet: My current manifold (the tuned one, with bigger CS) I built from scratch. It's aluminum, box sections for the most part, and TIG welded. Here's a picture...

My first MPI system used a 1969 "hi-flow" manifold from an F engine. These had runners that don't neck down right at the bend like most other F/2F manifolds do. It took a bit of thinking to get the injectors all lined up and on the same plane without major welding/machine work (I was using a fuel rail). It could probably be done with pretty basic shop tools if you were creative (use barbed injectors, epoxied in bungs, etc.). That particular manifold flows fairly well, but it will still choke the engine starting at around 4600 RPM. Here's a picture of my first manifold...

Of course, the other option is to adapt a 3FE manifold to your F/2F. I've never inspected one of these manifolds, however, so I couldn't even hazard a guess at the performance potential.

Overall, if you want your motor to pull to 5500 RPM like an ox, and you have the means to do it, I'd say build a custom manifold. Here's another good resource on building custom manifolds/EFI parts that I consulted while building my project: http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html (not affiliated, didn't use their products, but they have some good ideas). If you (or anyone else reading this for that matter) want to build a system, I can give some 'cruiser specific tips on various design and fabrication points.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Wow..

That is a lot of work...

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the TBI I had more power, much better starting and the Off Road performance was fantastic. I could run at altitudes of 7000 or 10,000 ft with no problem at all. Of course it also ran well at or near sea level. I was also running a DUI distributor. After installing the distributor the accelleration was greatly improved.

Parts are easy to come by.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tbi

sprung over said:
I successfully ran a TBI on my 2F for three years. It is now in Florida on another 2F. It is a great conversion.....
I'm the Florida guy that got this TBI and DUI dizzy setup. Installation was sooooo easy as he'd already had it setup and running, and the offroad peformance is insane. Starts right up, idles smooth all day long at any angle, and gets decent mileage.

Biggest downside (which I think was discussed extensively in the past by SpaceGhost) is when used with an SM420 the mapping doesn't like the gearing difference inbetween 2nd and 3rd. Kinda a pain, but you get used to it. Another downside is all the body damage I got this year at GSTMR driving this thing at all angles.

The other system looks way kool but would be beyond my patience level. Also, I'm curious as to what the cost is to build up the bottom end to cope with anything over 4,500 RPM's - I coulda used that when I used to drive on the interstate more often :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't really "build" the bottom end of the motor, in fact, it was a pretty standard rebuild with an eye towards performance. Probably the most significant thing done to the engine to effect durability for higher engine speeds was the balancing work -- and this will significantly improve durability by reducing forces exerted on the rotating assembly, esp. at high speeds. Also, I don't operate the engine at those higher speeds for extended periods of time, but I do peg it when I run up dunes, which could last some 5 seconds or so.
I don't want to say for sure, because I haven't really studied it properly, but just looking at the size of the bottom end of the F/2F engine, I would say even a stock engine could probably handle spikes up in this range. Anyone have any first hand experience here?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts