Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did an engine swap with an 88 5.0 out of a Mercury cougar. I've got everything pretty close except the charging system. I think its a 2G alternator (I know they're inferior and I should change it out, but I'm not going to right now)
How do i hook up the wiring? I've read the wiring diagrams and I can't get it to work. I'm honestly starting to think the alternator is bad. There are 4/5 wires that are coming out of it. On the top plug there are 2 large blk/org and a blk/wht. (one of the blk/org ties back into the alternator the other blk/org comes out with the bottom wires.) On the bottom there is a yellow and a green wire. Pictures below, please help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Safety third!
11,375 Posts
Why don't you take the alternator off and run it down to any of 5 or 6 parts stores and have them confirm it good or bad?

Seriously, it could save you some headache. I do it with all junkyard/unknown alternators because it's free.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The two big blk/org wires from the top plug and the yel wire from the other plug goes to battery hot, like the solenoid post. The grn/rd wire from the other plug goes ign hot through a warning light if you have one, and the white and blk wire from each plug tie together.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you take the alternator off and run it down to any of 5 or 6 parts stores and have them confirm it good or bad?

Seriously, it could save you some headache. I do it with all junkyard/unknown alternators because it's free.
Probably a good call. I'll do that tomorrow.

Also strictly hypothetically speaking if I did switch to a 1 wire GM Alternator or a 3G do I have to modify my mount?

·
P.B.A.
4,343 Posts
3G depending on what size you get ( how many amps) you'll have to grind a little off the mount. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the alternator style you have. 2 wires to the bat, the rest go to the alt/wiring harness.

And it works.

·
Registered
16,113 Posts
5 fuckin' minutes in my haynes manual found this.

If you don't have one for the engine you're swapping in, you're probably not doing it right :flipoff2:

I left if big so you can see the letters. If your colors don't match, pick a different year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
5 fuckin' minutes in my haynes manual found this.

If you don't have one for the engine you're swapping in, you're probably not doing it right :flipoff2:

I left if big so you can see the letters. If your colors don't match, pick a different year.
I appreciate you looking that up in your antique "manual". I've been relying on this fancy new fangled contraption known as the internet for diagrams and instructions :flipoff2:. Unfortunatly the colors don't match.
I did find markings on the back of the alternator though when I pulled it today. The labels were completely counterintuitive to every diagram I've seen so far. According to the ALT the Green wire is my "S" (along with the blk/wht) and I found a previously unused black wire hidden in the harness which was labeled "I"
Tomorrow I'll go get the ALT checked out to make sure it's still good, if it is I'll attempt to hook it up based on the labels.
Thanks again everyone for taking time to read/respond.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the alternator was bad. Got a new one (I know I should have upgraded to a 3G or a GM, but it was just so easy to buy the new one right then and there. Also its got a lifetime warranty!)
Rewired based on labels, not colors. And low and behold I've got a working charging system. Thank you sweet baby Jesus!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts