Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 2JZGTE mate up to a R150F without bellhousing modifications? Also how difficult is this swap and about what does it cost? Thanx fellas.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think it will. If I remember right, the original tranny behind that engine was an R series, so it should have the same bellhousing to tranny bolt pattern. So i would guess that you could just use the 3.0 bellhousing. But I know none of this to be fact, just speculating.:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Isn't that motor an inline six (making it long and hard to fit in the cramped Toyota engine bay)? What will you be putting it in? Lets get some pics of the swap.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
tuckn18s said:
Isn't that motor an inline six (making it long and hard to fit in the cramped Toyota engine bay)? What will you be putting it in? Lets get some pics of the swap.

Check out SuperRunner. He has the same setup

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Isnt SuperRunner running a 7M?

But in any case they are similar sizes.
By my mesurements the 2j is actually about 20mm shorter overall.

If you can get the 2j with its bellhousing it should bolt straight up to the R150F. It was going to cost me the same money for just the manual bellhousing to suit the 2j as it was going to cost for a complete motor over here in Aus.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It won't bolt to the R150 bell housing. Some MKIII guys put the 1JZGTE, same bolt pattern as the 2JZ, in front of the R154. They have a different pattern than the 3 and 5VZ and 7M motors though so You would need the 1JZ bellhousing for the R154. Most were autos and none came to the US. It still probably wouldn't be a bolt on deal as the input shaft might not be in the right place with the R150. Or do what Superrunner did and cut and weld 2 bellhousings together.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
well it sounds like the 7m is a lot cheaper and if SuperRunner races with it and can do massive brake stands with 38's i think you will be ok in your 4-runner

·
Registered
432 Posts
toydawg85 said:
So what supra motors(turbo only) bolt up to the R150F then? Only the 7m?
Bolting one up isn't the problem. It's getting the input shaft in the right place. The 7M or 2JZ will bolt up to the R150 with the correct bellhousing. The input shaft is were the problem is. You may have to use the R154 input shaft unless you want to shorten a bellhousing. Which means using tyhe r154's taller 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Clifton is right. Even if you got the bellhousing for a 1JZ, it still would not work becuase the input shaft of the R150F would be too short. Your best bet if you want to use the R150F would be to make your own bellhousing.

Or better yet......
Divorced t-case with the Getrag V160 6 speed from the 93-98 twin turbo supra. Virtually bullet proof. Watched several runs on a stock tranny pushing 1300 rwhp with a 2JZ. With a divorced t-case adapter from OTT, you can run any 2wd tranny you want. Plus the 6 speed you get a 6 gears to play with. Loads of fun I tell ya.

The W series tranny will bolt up to an NA 2JZ, but will not hold more than 300hp for very long.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Divorced t-case with the Getrag V160 6 speed from the 93-98 twin turbo supra. Virtually bullet proof. Watched several runs on a stock tranny pushing 1300 rwhp with a 2JZ. With a divorced t-case adapter from OTT, you can run any 2wd tranny you want.
Sounds like $$$; how much am I looking at if I were to have a shop fab this setup for me. I know its weak but im in college and don't have access to a shop and if i fawk this one up i'de be deep in debt. Thanx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts