Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Umm…Do you know which front axle this 3/4 ton rolling chassis came with? Many 3/4 tons use the HD version of the Dana 44 (an axle you already have) The Dana 44HD only differs from the 1/2 ton D44 by having slightly larger diameter brake rotors and three more lugs. Some say the tubes might by thicker, but all internal parts are still standard Dana 44. There were a few 3/4 ton chassis that came with D60 front axles, mostly those that were equipped with either the Cummins or V10. Which did you get?

Ed
Not sure how common the d44 8 lug front is, it only came in v8 reg cab 3/4's with the low gvw between 94-97 from what I have gathered, I know we have had 5 ram 2500's between 94-02 and they were all d60 including a 99 reg cab v8 truck. Safe bet is always to check the diff in person but I think its safe to say all the diesel/v10 trucks had d60 from factory but then there is always the 1 where to PO swapped it out not knowing difference.

On the CAD axle thing I have seen a 01 without cad and my dad had a 02 without but I do understand it is something where it isnt a 100% shot either way but they are out there. The spool and posi lock cable thing works like a poor mans arb but you have to be on pretty much 0 load to get it to unlock, adding the locking hubs would be a great setup as you could lock the hubs and pull transfer into 4x like normal and know the power is going to driver side tire, then if you need it pull the cable for locker action. (maybe poor mans OX locker would be better comparison)

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Although I no longer own a Dodge- I had one since new ('94 1500) and it saw alot of mods and wheeling.

The stock D44 is good to 35" tires. You can run 37s on the street and mild trails, but you are asking to blow a shaft, joint, wheel bearing, ball joint or all of the above at any time. I ran 38 TSLs on the D44 with a lock right and went thru a number of parts except the lock right (even an R&P).

The stock D60 front of similar years is worth the upgrade if you can afford to switch to 8 lug wheels too. It is practically a bolt in.

I ran 38s, then 42s and finally 44s on that stock ('95) front D60 with the CAD with a Detroit and Posi-lock, stock hubs. Its not for rock bouncing, but I was never easy on my rig and only lost one front axle shaft (wheel bearings is a different subject). I also swapped to the '95 rear D60 (with a spool) and snapped two axles pretty quickly before I went to 35 spline units. These served me well under a heavy truck with a doubler, 5.13 gears and lockers.

The CAD D60 was sold to another Dodge guy and the rear axles lives on under my '70 Bronco crawler.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Umm…Do you know which front axle this 3/4 ton rolling chassis came with? Many 3/4 tons use the HD version of the Dana 44 (an axle you already have) The Dana 44HD only differs from the 1/2 ton D44 by having slightly larger diameter brake rotors and three more lugs. Some say the tubes might by thicker, but all internal parts are still standard Dana 44. There were a few 3/4 ton chassis that came with D60 front axles, mostly those that were equipped with either the Cummins or V10. Which did you get?

Ed
I think what's common varies slightly by region. Up here in New England, every 2500 I've looked at had a 60 under the front. Maybe because of the chance of a plow hanging off it?

I know with my 79 f250, it's kinda like that. They usually got 44s, but most around here were fitted with the optional 60 with the snofighter package.

Just like west coast or southern classics seem to have air conditioning or be a convertible more than what was originally bought around here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not sure how common the d44 8 lug front is, it only came in v8 reg cab 3/4's with the low gvw between 94-97 from what I have gathered, I know we have had 5 ram 2500's between 94-02 and they were all d60 including a 99 reg cab v8 truck. Safe bet is always to check the diff in person but I think its safe to say all the diesel/v10 trucks had d60 from factory but then there is always the 1 where to PO swapped it out not knowing difference.

On the CAD axle thing I have seen a 01 without cad and my dad had a 02 without but I do understand it is something where it isnt a 100% shot either way but they are out there. The spool and posi lock cable thing works like a poor mans arb but you have to be on pretty much 0 load to get it to unlock, adding the locking hubs would be a great setup as you could lock the hubs and pull transfer into 4x like normal and know the power is going to driver side tire, then if you need it pull the cable for locker action. (maybe poor mans OX locker would be better comparison)

I see what you mean. It in stock form can be finicky locking in.
Thanks for the help
Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Although I no longer own a Dodge- I had one since new ('94 1500) and it saw alot of mods and wheeling.

The stock D44 is good to 35" tires. You can run 37s on the street and mild trails, but you are asking to blow a shaft, joint, wheel bearing, ball joint or all of the above at any time. I ran 38 TSLs on the D44 with a lock right and went thru a number of parts except the lock right (even an R&P).

The stock D60 front of similar years is worth the upgrade if you can afford to switch to 8 lug wheels too. It is practically a bolt in.

I ran 38s, then 42s and finally 44s on that stock ('95) front D60 with the CAD with a Detroit and Posi-lock, stock hubs. Its not for rock bouncing, but I was never easy on my rig and only lost one front axle shaft (wheel bearings is a different subject). I also swapped to the '95 rear D60 (with a spool) and snapped two axles pretty quickly before I went to 35 spline units. These served me well under a heavy truck with a doubler, 5.13 gears and lockers.

The CAD D60 was sold to another Dodge guy and the rear axles lives on under my '70 Bronco crawler.

I have actually been creeping on your truck Mountain Ram. I really like the setup. The bronco is pretty slick as well.
What doubler did you run? I've never messed with them.
I'm definitely not a rock bouncer but like to slow crawl rocks from time to time
Aaron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think what's common varies slightly by region. Up here in New England, every 2500 I've looked at had a 60 under the front. Maybe because of the chance of a plow hanging off it?

I know with my 79 f250, it's kinda like that. They usually got 44s, but most around here were fitted with the optional 60 with the snofighter package.

Just like west coast or southern classics seem to have air conditioning or be a convertible more than what was originally bought around here.

speedfreak78 and RXT
I got around to doing a little more research on the axels I picked up and they are both open Dana 60s with 4:10s out of a 1999 3/4 ton 360 truck.
great info and I have heard that region plays some factor in original equipment vehicles came with.
Aaron

·
Registered
650 Posts
Aaron, the best thing to do whenever you're in the market for specific axles is to see it in person. Not everything is going to be as expected. Not everyone who buys a truck up north will use it to plow snow, not every truck up north was bought there when new. Not everyone spends the extra money for the heavier model. When it comes to 3/4 tons, it's really a crap shoot. The factory offered both the Dana 44HD and the Dana60 and it's easy to get it wrong because many don't look past the 8 lugs that the rims are bolted to.

…But it's good to know you did get one with a D60 and thats all that really matters

Ed

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
I have actually been creeping on your truck Mountain Ram. I really like the setup. The bronco is pretty slick as well.
What doubler did you run? I've never messed with them.
I'm definitely not a rock bouncer but like to slow crawl rocks from time to time
Aaron

I have a Box 4-Rocks that I bought off a former vendor here. It basically allowed me to chop the factory NP231 planetary gear from the stock box and bolt an Np241 behind it. Besides a constant slow leak (needs a new gasket), I have had no issues with it and the 7.4:1 low range is awesome! I liked it so much that I put it in the Bronco.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
My Understanding

I ended up with a set, CAD 60 front 70 rear for free ( actually made money after all the trading and selling of parts from the donor ). From what im gathering i should be pretty well off if I ?
1. Truss the axle
2. CAD Delete ( Long shaft )
3. 35 spline shafts and carrier
4. Dana 50 Lockouts
Am i missing anything? Are the Brakes on the 50 any better? Also talked with the guy who runs Balljoint Eliminators, he is willing to make me a set for these axles once i get him some specs at a discounted price. Anybody have any experience with them? ive yet to hear a negative thing about them. Seems like a good way to get around the weak upper ball joint and still keep the wallet happy considering the cost of the always desirable kingpin Ford 60.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I ended up with a set, CAD 60 front 70 rear for free ( actually made money after all the trading and selling of parts from the donor ). From what im gathering i should be pretty well off if I ?
1. Truss the axle
2. CAD Delete ( Long shaft )
3. 35 spline shafts and carrier
4. Dana 50 Lockouts
Am i missing anything? Are the Brakes on the 50 any better? Also talked with the guy who runs Balljoint Eliminators, he is willing to make me a set for these axles once i get him some specs at a discounted price. Anybody have any experience with them? ive yet to hear a negative thing about them. Seems like a good way to get around the weak upper ball joint and still keep the wallet happy considering the cost of the always desirable kingpin Ford 60.
I have no experience with the ball joint eliminator kits, however I did read somewhere (probably here on this forum) that someone machined out the upper BJ bore and installed the bigger lower BJ in it's place. The lower BJs are bigger and therefore stronger than the upper BJs and you use off the shelf parts when it comes time to replace them.

Ed

21 - 31 of 31 Posts