Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start collecting parts for a 2nd gen SAS. I'm wondering what the idle donor axle would be for the front. I know the important part is the driver side pumpkin but is there anything else I should look for? Would like to use either a Dana 44 out of an older F250 or a Dana 60.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keep it simple. Grab an axle set form 05 newer super duty. Cant beat that running gear for the price and durability.

·
Oh Jesus Tits....
2,669 Posts
Keep it simple. Grab an axle set form 05 newer super duty. Cant beat that running gear for the price and durability.
That would be strong, but ridiculously wide.

77-79 F250 axle is optimal if going D44. High pinion and about the right width.

You also need a real steering box since those trucks have R&P steering.

·
TBD
623 Posts
Late to the party... '79 snofighter D60 is what you want. Right width, high pinion, 69.5" WMS to WMS, which is right about where you want it.

It gets messy from there if you want to keep your OEM T-case and ABS/Speedo, etc working. If you do, there are kits for the front, the rear you'll either need to go custom tone ring or run a flange on the housing to use D60 hubs in the rear (see kits for front D60 with tone rings.)

If you don't care about lights and the dash and shit and are running an Atlas, ignore that and throw in a 14 bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts