Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The following diagram is for Megasquirt3x.
Integrated into a 1985-1988.5 Truck/4runner.
Twin coil type 2RZ and 3RZ (? years).

Will not be the same for distributor motors - or coil-on-plug motors.

There is some minor magic for powering up the unit using the factory ECU connector and doing fuel pump control that is particular to the 1985-1988.5, but other than that, it can be used in other rides.

Hopefully this gives someone a leg up on doing the same thing...

The following wiring will get you sequential injection and IAC control, along with all the other megasquirt goodness, such as full control over stuff like tuning. I'm going to try to keep the latest diagram on this page.

Use the page link above..

·
Premium Member
29,436 Posts
Nice, downloaded :smokin:

any chance you have a rough guess of how much $$ you have doing the swap using the megasquirt controls?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, downloaded :smokin:

any chance you have a rough guess of how much $$ you have doing the swap using the megasquirt controls?
If you go to the base URL of the website, I've got a list of costs. Just don't add it up for me. I didn't go cheap.

Retail on MS3x is in the $660 range. Base implementation of megasquirt (no sequential injection) starts at $375 and you can build it yourself (from kit) if you want to do it for less. Both will do what you want.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The following diagram is for Megasquirt3x.
Integrated into a 1985-1988.5 Truck/4runner.
Twin coil type 2RZ and 3RZ (? years).

Will not be the same for distributor motors - or coil-on-plug motors.

There is some minor magic for powering up the unit using the factory ECU connector and doing fuel pump control that is particular to the 1985-1988.5, but other than that, it can be used in other rides.

Hopefully this gives someone a leg up on doing the same thing...

The following wiring will get you sequential injection and IAC control, along with all the other megasquirt goodness, such as full control over stuff like tuning. I'm going to try to keep the latest diagram on this page.

Wiring Diagram
Twin coil RZ motors should be years 1998-2000. Thanks for the info, downloaded and stashed!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't know jack about motor performance, can quickly explain the benefit to this over stock? I assume this is for a turbo addition?
It's a tunable ECU. For un-tunable ECUs like the 22RE, this is almost mandatory if you're adding a turbo.

The 2rz and 3rz take well to turbos, at least to about 7psi or so.. not as mandatory.

You can do crazy things like sequential injection or coil-on-plug for motors that were never designed for it.

It can be used on almost any gas motor. Suzuki Hayabusa or a big block chevy. I once used it to get a 4.3L TBI unit to run a supercharged 22R.

The things that make it flexible are the things that make it complicated.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I don't know jack about motor performance, can quickly explain the benefit to this over stock? I assume this is for a turbo addition?
Basically like having a good speed control thats fully adjustable :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Thank you guys for the helpful insight rather then busting my balls. I've gotten to a point where once this damn home is in my name and the shop has power i'll begin touching the creature comforts of my rig and look into this turbo game.

My RZ is a blast, can't imagine adding a turbo and returning to the sand or snow.. Makes me grin ear to ear

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a tunable ECU. For un-tunable ECUs like the 22RE, this is almost mandatory if you're adding a turbo.

The 2rz and 3rz take well to turbos, at least to about 7psi or so.. not as mandatory.

You can do crazy things like sequential injection or coil-on-plug for motors that were never designed for it.

It can be used on almost any gas motor. Suzuki Hayabusa or a big block chevy. I once used it to get a 4.3L TBI unit to run a supercharged 22R.

The things that make it flexible are the things that make it complicated.

How about a For 302V8 TBI on a NA 22R? lol Did it!
Needs bigger injectors, but it ran GREAT as a test mule! Daily driven for 2 years to learn a bit about MS (v2.2).

Researching my next adventure now, a stock 3rz into a 94 pickup. I got some reading and wiring to do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts