Pirate 4x4 banner
381 - 387 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but since you had a 3.0 V6 already, wouldn't it have been easier and better to just step up to a 5VZ? Crash does top notch work, and I am not knocking that, just curious if you would think of doing the 5VZ now? Seems like the prices of the 3.4's are coming down quite a bit.
Hey that is a valid question, but honestly, fuel economy and simplicity are my top concerns. I would have gotten a 22RE but since the 2RZ/3RZ are newer and get better more power and economy then that was the route that I wanted to take.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Is the 2RZ not that big of an improvement over the 3vz?
My experience.

4runner 3.0 5 speed on 35"bfgs

extracab 2.4 with auto on 39.5 iroks

Off the line the 5 speed shines, but past 30mph I can honestly say the 4runner wasn't pulling away. Both motors over 100,000 miles. So I'd say the 2rz is a big improvement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My experience.

4runner 3.0 5 speed on 35"bfgs

extracab 2.4 with auto on 39.5 iroks

Off the line the 5 speed shines, but past 30mph I can honestly say the 4runner wasn't pulling away. Both motors over 100,000 miles. So I'd say the 2rz is a big improvement.

That is not a true comparison, really. The runner is quite a bit heavier, an auto vs a manual, and were the axles geared the same?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
That is not a true comparison, really. The runner is quite a bit heavier, an auto vs a manual, and were the axles geared the same?
If you want to argue, game on!

Weight wise has to be pretty close with-in 300 pounds I'd say. 4runner had no spare, aluminum wheels and has been regeared with 4.56's I believe. Tires might measure 34" off the rig? Ex-cab with 70+lb tool box and spare tire, steel wheels. Oh did I mention the 39.5 Iroks that probably measure 38+ inches on the vehical? Of course it's not a equal comparison:flipoff2: the 90's handicaped with a auto and hugh tires!

you want a "TRUE" comparison? go pit two 3vze's against each other.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Well an update. I have put over 2000 miles on the rig, and it has plenty of mid range and top end power (though it feels like not as much low end torque as my 22RE in my other rig). I even took it for a run on Labor Day at Evans Creek and smashed in my pretty passenger side extended cab and slightly dinged up my door. It was definitely awesome having more control and being able to crawl. Next on the list are the Longs even though my stock birfs held up fine under my 37" MTR's. Thanks again to Crash for the great work! I am thinking that the wheelbase needs to be shortened up as much as possible while still keeping the gas tank in its stock location. Bed bob or custom flatbed is in the plans as well. But my next priority is getting my junkyard York installed and plumbed in.

381 - 387 of 387 Posts