Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search in the newb section, and the search thing didnt' come up with the answer I was looking for. What is the difference between the two?? I thought there wasn't anything, but was on the phone ordering some parts, and the guy said there was a difference. This is for a 62' 4wd suburban that I'm putting power steering on to. I have the 4wd box, and there is a kit that Chevy Duty sells for $60 that says for 2wd ONLY. When I called them, the guy didn't know, he was just going by what the kit says. I thought the only difference was the output shaft, and that the boxes will bolt on between 2wd and 4wd frames. So, can someone enlighten me and verify that the boxes are the same, just the shaft is different??

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
can you narrow down what it is you are trying to do please?
the 2wdr and 4wdr boxes from 73-87 bolt to the frame in the same way
there are differences in hydraulic fittings and input spline count that is year dependant
I cant help you with older stuff or newer stuff

maybe a link to the kit you are trying to buy?

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked for a link, and it doesn't say anything, just that there is a kit. What I am doing is converting manual steering on my 62 4wd 'burban to power steering. The kit says that you need a box off a 68 to 76-ish truck. But it says for 2wd trucks, nothing about 4wd. So when I called Chevy Duty and asked them, they don't have a kit for 4wds, and the boxes weren't the same anyway. I told him that from all the reading and stuff (mostly from this site) that the boxes themselves were the same, just the output shaft is different, and depending on the year, the lines from standard to metric. He didn't know, he was just going by what the kit says. But, you said that the boxes will mount the same, so that basically answered my question. I'm not worried about the lines, they are easy to get.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The sector shafts are different between a 2wd and a 4wd box, so they take different pitman arms... but other than that the boxes are physically the same.
There are 2 different styles of PS fittings for the boxes... It doesn't matter which one you get as long as you have a PS pump / hoses to match. They changed from a crush style flared fitting to an O-Ring style around 1980.

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poohbair, that is what I thought. I will call them back and order the kit, and tell that they are the same. I'm sure other people were wondering the same thing. There has to be someone else out there that has a 4wd truck in this vintage. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Hey Guys,
Yes the 4wd and 2wd steering boxes will bolt up to either frame, the problem you will run into is the 4wd pitman arm extends to the left side and the drag link runs parallel to the frame rail.
The 2wd pitman arm extends parallel to the frame rail, and the drag link runs across the front of the truck. you can use the 2wd box when converting to cross over steering on a 4wd. But other then that, they will not interchange.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
FJ-Dave said:
Hey Guys,
Yes the 4wd and 2wd steering boxes will bolt up to either frame, the problem you will run into is the 4wd pitman arm extends to the left side and the drag link runs parallel to the frame rail.
The 2wd pitman arm extends parallel to the frame rail, and the drag link runs across the front of the truck. you can use the 2wd box when converting to cross over steering on a 4wd. But other then that, they will not interchange.
The only reason that the pitman arms will not exchange is because of the difference in the sector shaft. The boxes are identical w/ the exception of the flange / oring fittings between years. You can take a 4wd steering box and put a 2wd sector shaft in it for your x-over steering, but for x-over you have to have a 2wd sector shaft to accept the correct pitman arm.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Poohbair said:
The only reason that the pitman arms will not exchange is because of the difference in the sector shaft. The boxes are identical w/ the exception of the flange / oring fittings between years. You can take a 4wd steering box and put a 2wd sector shaft in it for your x-over steering, but for x-over you have to have a 2wd sector shaft to accept the correct pitman arm.
So you change alot of sector shafts do ya newb? You're saying basicly the same thing that I said. But it's much easier to find a complete 2wd box and swap it out then to go swapping sector shafts. :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
FJ-Dave said:
You're saying basicly the same thing that I said. But it's much easier to find a complete 2wd box and swap it out then to go swapping sector shafts. :shaking: :shaking: :shaking:
No Shit? :flipoff2:
I was not saying the same thing that you said. You explained that the pitman arms are different... (last time I checked the pitman arm wasn't part of the steering box), and unless you were doing cross-over they were not interchangable. I was explaining that the 2wd boxes and 4wd boxes are interchangable, and exactly the same EXCEPT for the sector shaft. No they aren't hard to change, yes, you can swap them.

Oh, and it is not a matter of you "can" use a 2wd box when doing cross-over... you either HAVE to use a 2wd box, or a 4wd box w/ a 2wd sector shaft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts