Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gramps GAVE me one of his old Buicks that has a 70,000mi 455 and TH400. I was going to put the motor in my GMC, but am now thinking of puting the motor and tranny in my trail rig I'm building ('84 XJ). I know fitting the motor will be tight (real tight), but I'm just gonna cut and do whatever necessary to git-r-done.

I know that the BOP TH400's have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the Chevy TH400's, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the tailshafts are the same. I'm wanting to put a 4WD Chevy TH400 tailhousing on the 2WD BOP TH400. Will this work???

Thanks

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
The tailhousings will bolt up. Problem is the output shaft. Most of the Buicks have the long output shaft with no O-ring on it. You can swap in the short 4x4 output shaft which is what I did on my BOP TH400.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! I figured I'd have to change the output shaft also along with the tailhousing, so I didn't bother mentioning. That XJ is gonna be sick with that BB! Good thing I already have a 32 spline 208 with TH400 adapter sitting around. Now I just need to find a tailhousing and output shaft. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With alot of steel and a welder; it'll be beefy enough I think. I'm converting the front to leafs for now, so I'm going to need to brace the front end anyway.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the Buick 350 weighs in right about 480 loaded, versus about 560 for the Chevy 350. Buick motors run lighter than any other GM motors. That stock 455 lists at about 475ft/lb's; it's no duramax or powerstroke. One of those would make me nervous with that unibody.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
And about 100 lbs of that is in the intake manifold. I've got an Olds 455 going into my 53 F350 and it's pretty easy to put a 455 on a diet. Cheap torque, but I wouldn't put one in an XJ either. Personnally I doubt you could make it fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts