Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might have a line on a 98 2wd Taco...how much would it cost to convert it to 4wd w/straight axle front end...

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i thought about doing this same thing, i was gonna get the truck and swap all of my stuff off of my 82 (tranny & t-case, axle's). I was told by a couple of poeple it would not work i would have to get a taco tranny and t-case, not sure how that would work either is what they told me. Hopfully this will help a little. They told me i would be better off just buying a 4wd taco and sas it, less heart ach's and trouble.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I believe there to be an adapter from marlin that will alow a gear case to be mated to a taco tranny , go to norcalttora.com or check out marlins site

·
Registered
726 Posts
IS IT POSSIBLE TO:

1.Just pute the Taco body on the 4x4 1982 yota?

2. Is that doable ?

3. if not why ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sure it is always possible , "Snowchucker" put a tacoma body on a second generation frame . Looks factory if you did not know any better

·
Registered
964 Posts
"$ure, anything is po$$ible."

Gotta love that!!! I always like the old saying "Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?" back in my racing days.
I guess the proper version for this sport would be "Crawling cost money. How slow do you want to go?"

·
Registered
158 Posts
Check out the TTORA board. There is at least one guy on there that converted a Prerunner to 4wd. I'm not sure what he used as for an axle and t-case. The popular axle for Taco SAS is a Wagoneer D44. As far as using older Toy parts, its possible but the exhuast is on the passenger side so you'll have to work around/reroute that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Check out http://www.toy4x4.net/ for the Tacoma SAS info.
Other than that, slap a tcase on the back using marlins adapters fab a crossmember, lift the rear, get some drivelines, and hysteer and its done. One of the Florida TTORA members did the same thing on his 2wd.

Your major costs are the marlin, hysteer, D44, gears, lockers, tires, lift springs, etc...all the basic stuff for any 4x.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I considered doing this on a 2wd taco that I picked up.

I read somewhere that my w56 would bolt up to the 2.4L with the correct bellhousing.

Then I would just have to reroute the exhaust. I could use a toy axle, etc.

My only concern would be front frame clearance for a 2nd gen IFS steering box and pitman arm, I haven't looked at it that close yet.

Anybody know for sure if the 2.4L will mate to a toy 5 spd.???

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The only real problem with using a toy axle is the fact it is probably 5 inches shy of the Taco rear axle width . And using spacers is ok I guess but kind of a bandaid fix , even though I use them with no problems . I am trying to decide wether to part out my runner and sas my taco using an fj-80 axle I purchased which is wider yet than the Taco housing but makes a good excuse to use a hybrid toy 1ton rear or a t100 rear:p

·
Registered
800 Posts
The IFS box fits no problem.
The problem w/ the toy axle is that it places the rear shackle hangers in the middle of no where--so you have to somehow cantilever them off the frame which is not too wise. The reason everyone uses the Waggy 44's is that the wider spring perch width allows you to set the hanger somewhat under the frame for a stronger mount.
i have seen people put toy axles under tacomas, but it wouldnt be my first choice. Like davey said...the width is way off- 6" difference between your front and rear widths. Just go to stockton pick n pull and they have a ton of waggy 44's laying around. My bro also builds Tacoma SAS kit parts, so he can hook you up.

Not sure about the 2.4. I think all-pro did a 2.7 w/ an old style 5 speed tranny.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The 2rz(2.4 liter) and 3rz(2.7 liter) are the same basic motors except the stroke is different . I am going to look into the possibility of using a fj80 axle ,I want all toy componants on my truck or at least made specifically for a toyota . Who knows , I may even decide to use the fj80 basic suspension too , Not sure yet . I guess I'm counting my chicks before they hatch as I still need to finish parting out my runner and get the cash to do it .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts