Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone ever done this? its a 89 model (older body style) 1 ton 2wd truck with IFS tbi 454 and sm465, and its soon to be a straight axle 4wd. what all will have to be changed or replaced on the front. i already have a dually 60 front and 70 rear both with 456 gears, 32 spline sm465/np205 with crossmember and shifters. im not concerned with the trans and case as i have done this before, just needing info on the front axle swap.thanks for any info!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
myojunk said:
anyone ever done this? its a 89 model (older body style) ton 2wd, and its soon to be a 4wd. what all will have to be changed or replaced. thanks for any info!
If it's a truck them your only option is to go solid axle in the front. Cause the frames are differant on the 2x4 than 4x4 trucks and the indepenant 4x4 front end will not fit. If would be cheaper just to get a 4x4 truck the money you save with it already being 4x4 you could put to upgrades anyway!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
It'r relatively easy to do as long as you have a welder/torches/etc... Cut off all the IFS bracketry and position your front axle where you want it, making sure its square/pinion angle is right/etc. Then measure how high of leaf springs you need for the lift you want and clamp them on with the u-bolts. Then weld on the front spring hangers and shackle hangers, making sure your shackle angle is right....Then its just the little stuff like the upper shock mounts, steering linkage, etc. You will then need to do the tranny/tcase swap, cut a hole for the t-case shifter, and have a front driveshaft made. You might want to make sure all of your front frame crossmembers will clear the driveshaft of you're not planning on running a tall lift.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
gatorgrizz27 said:
Cut off all the IFS bracketry...
He said 89 (older body style)... so the 2wd suspension unbolts completely.

You need some way to support the engine, so you need the engine crossmember from a 4x4 (or build your own).

Frame curvature is a little different in the area around the rear shackle. I expect you'll need a longer shackle (if using stock 4wd shackle/frame mounts)

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
If it's the older body style, then it's the 88-up, not the 87 down. You couldn't get that style in a reg cab, only crews, subs, and K-5s. There is one on here, can't remember what his s/n is. Search for SAS.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its looks like an 85 model. only its an 89

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
b454rat said:
If it's the older body style, then it's the 88-up, not the 87 down. You couldn't get that style in a reg cab...
There was some carry-over on the reg cabs also... thru '89 on certain dually models.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
u2slow said:
There was some carry-over on the reg cabs also... thru '89 on certain dually models.
Through 91' on Crew Cab trucks.I don't know fro sure on Reg Cab trucks but definately through 89' because we have one.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I will third that. Just went to look at one yesterday. it was a 1989 GMC, tbi 350/th400/np205 factory cab and chassis. guy wanted too much $ for how badly it was thrashed, tho.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
go to the wreckers and buy the 4x4 crossmembers and spring hangers from the newest 4x4 in that body style that you can find.
most of the changes are in the engine crossmember under the area between the passenger side motor mount and the crossmember, early ones are all cracked in that location.

I have a c30 frame under my chev. cheap to convert. easy to convert. just a bunch of time.

I would not use the stock 4x4 postion for the shackle, it is designed to accomidate reverse arc springs.
I would put both the mounts in to use 52" springs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts