Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 engine knock

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  runner87 
#1 ·
my cousin was out playing on the hills on Sly Park , he was climbing a hill and was reving it pretty good now he has a very loud knock , what could it be , where should he start looking , that is all I know

#2 ·
Had this happen to me on Thanksgiving Day a few years ago in my wife's 92 4Runner. It ended up being a spun rod bearing.
While the engine is running, pull a spark plug wire. If the knock is still there, put it back on and move to the next one. If the knock gets quieter, that's the one with the spun bearing.
HTH

#3 ·
WCS87 said:
Had this happen to me on Thanksgiving Day a few years ago in my wife's 92 4Runner. It ended up being a spun rod bearing.
While the engine is running, pull a spark plug wire. If the knock is still there, put it back on and move to the next one. If the knock gets quieter, that's the one with the spun bearing.
HTH

That is called load balance testing. To see which cylinder is running the hardest. The sure thing is to drop the pan.

#4 ·
knock knock

whos there?

your rods! :flipoff2:

you could try pulling off one plug wire at a time and see if goes away.
sounds like he needs to rebuild it or do a motor swap. tell him i'll give him $50 for the truck :D

#5 ·
he was debating on wether to have towed to a shop or take it home , I told him to take it home and try and figure it out himself , the bad thing is he was going to go and pay it off tommorow , so I will tell him to drain the oil and look for metal shavings , can the pan be pulled without tearing apart the IFS?

#6 ·
Lord Orange said:
That is called load balance testing. To see which cylinder is running the hardest. The sure thing is to drop the pan.

And that was the plan until we pulled the drain plug. After watching the oil drain out with all of that metallic debris, we felt there was no need for us to wrestle with the oil pan in a V6 IFS vehicle. We knew the engine had to be pulled out before the oil stopped draining.

#8 · (Edited)
Richard said:
he was debating on wether to have towed to a shop or take it home , I told him to take it home and try and figure it out himself , the bad thing is he was going to go and pay it off tommorow , so I will tell him to drain the oil and look for metal shavings , can the pan be pulled without tearing apart the IFS?

Yup the pan can be pulled by dropping the bolts out of the front diff and sliding it down a little but why bother seriously it needs a rebuild now.

Might as well pull the motor it needs to be torn down to pull the rod bearings anyways.
I've been there done that to my 3slow when it started to knock...

I get that Guns and Roses song "knock knock knocking on heavens's door" stuck in my head whern someone says thier engine is knocking... .

#9 ·
Im the Cousin

We were doing som hill climbs, nothing major, and i was hopping around alot and when i got to the top it was knocking. I coasted down the hill and have sterted it twice, once to see if it was a freak thing, and a second time to let Richard here over the phone. But it didnt run any more than 30 seconds each time. I talked to friend of my grandpa said that it may just need to run a little to oil back in the system. Please tell me that is possible. And no I wont sell it I plan on fixing her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.