Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
they did that recall on the motors untill 19954runner cause when my friend bought his from a toyota dealership the mailed kim a notice for the recall

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
same junk until they came out with the 3.4 in the tacoma

the new headgaskets are supposed to be better but the in my experence they are just as bad

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm pretty sure they still replace them but they only do it once. they'll have to run your VIN# to see if its already been done before. that just happened to be the situation with me, and that kinda hurt financially...

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
I'm pretty sure they still replace them but they only do it once. they'll have to run your VIN# to see if its already been done before.
And be aware, if the head gasket job has ever been done (even by another shop), toyota will charge you for their work. I bought my 90 a few years back. The head gasket had been done, but by a private shop. They had epoxied the block to fill in the pits. Toyota didn't have any record of the recall being done, but I was told that if they found evidense it had been done before, they would charge me for the job.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
Early (88-89) 3.0s did not have the same problem as later ones. No one is honoring the recall now, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Early (88-89) 3.0s did not have the same problem as later ones. No one is honoring the recall now, to my knowledge.
Actually 89 was part of the recall(maybe it was a partial year thing). 88 was the only year that was not part of it.

The recall is over with. From what I understand and have heard, some dealer might consider it, but I would think that is a witch hunt.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
ive got one with 185k on it, the head work was done by toyota at 90k, with the exception of uninspiring gas mileage this motor has proven to be very reliable and i feel the negative criticism you hear a lot on here should be ignored...i too was a critic of this motor prior to daily driving one...

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
3. SLOW ever heard of it?

ive got one with 185k on it, the head work was done by toyota at 90k, with the exception of uninspiring gas mileage this motor has proven to be very reliable and i feel the negative criticism you hear a lot on here should be ignored...i too was a critic of this motor prior to daily driving one...
I D.D. a 3.0 and am converting it to a crawler and would say stay-away. "uninspiring gas mileage" doesn't begin to say it. I have friends who have thrown v8's in and get better milage.

go 22re or the 3.4 say no to the 3.slow

I have an 1988, first year. I have heard the motor mounts have 2 bolts to the block on either side, later models give 4bolts per side.

I do know that under the intake manifold, in the rear, the there is a rubber hose water bypass, on my 88 that is U shaped. (mine cracked had to replace.) on 89-95 its has a longer side to give more overlap over the hardline. I got the part from the dealership, same motor diff. part # from 88 to later years. List on the 88 was around $5, and $15 on later years. I installed the later mdl hose and was AMAZED they still sold the U shaped 1.

I have a friend that has a built 22re, my 3.0 has over 200k and there is no difference on the trails, other than mine gets hot real fast, and on the road I have a little more top end.

The 3.slow is a high rev motor, and the valves cant slap piston.

And the 3.0 has a chaindriven T-case, with complicates the duals.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
of all the motors toyota has built this motor is a total abortion.. There are some that get some very high miles on them, But the have next to no low end(22r has way more off idle power of all the ones I have owned), It is a 3 hr job the change the pass, side valve cover gasket, shitty mileage, and a motor that is WELL known for maybe going to go to shit at any moment.. that is why the resale value of the 2nd gen runner is so low, you can buy clean 2nd gen runner for dirt cheap in good condition.. Buy one of those and do a 3.4 swap, then you have something and the swap is rerally pretty easy if you rig was a 3.0 to start with

I have referred alot of people to toyota for the recallandthe last 1.5 yrs they have told them that the recall is no longer being honored..

·
Registered
338 Posts
The recall is now a goodwill item. If the dealership gets approval from Toyota do it, they can.
I just did both headgaskets on my 3.0... was planning on the 3.4 swap before it blew... the 3.0 in good used shape is worth more than a good used 3.4... Im still gonna do the swap. I work for lithia, and we have a toyota dealership. I tried to get them to do it for me. No goodwill for me. Mine runs great, but its still a pos. 3.4 is MUCH better... plus my bud has one with a supercharger on it :smokin: WHOOOHOO. I want one.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
have owned), It is a 3 hr job the change the pass, side valve cover gasket..
your next one will take you an hr. Just like the water pump that the timeing belt wraps on. WTF huh. change a water pump and have to F* with your timing, not hard....just dbl trpl check and over think.

SAY NO TO THE 3.SLOW

My 3.4 swap is on the TO DO list, still slowly building the capabilty first.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
I D.D. a 3.0 and am converting it to a crawler and would say stay-away. "uninspiring gas mileage" doesn't begin to say it. I have friends who have thrown v8's in and get better milage.

go 22re or the 3.4 say no to the 3.slow

I have an 1988, first year. I have heard the motor mounts have 2 bolts to the block on either side, later models give 4bolts per side.

I do know that under the intake manifold, in the rear, the there is a rubber hose water bypass, on my 88 that is U shaped. (mine cracked had to replace.) on 89-95 its has a longer side to give more overlap over the hardline. I got the part from the dealership, same motor diff. part # from 88 to later years. List on the 88 was around $5, and $15 on later years. I installed the later mdl hose and was AMAZED they still sold the U shaped 1.

I have a friend that has a built 22re, my 3.0 has over 200k and there is no difference on the trails, other than mine gets hot real fast, and on the road I have a little more top end.

The 3.slow is a high rev motor, and the valves cant slap piston.

And the 3.0 has a chaindriven T-case, with complicates the duals.
Actually the 3.0 has more torque at 2k than the 22re has at peak.

The motor mounting on the block was changed in the last part of the 1988 model year run due to an issue with cracked blocks.

If you build a real 'Y' pipe for the 3.0 to eliminate that stupid crossover the headgaskets last and you get better mileage. I was getting 16-17 with stock gears, welded rear on 35s mixed city/highway/trail.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
of all the motors toyota has built this motor is a total abortion.. There are some that get some very high miles on them, But the have next to no low end(22r has way more off idle power of all the ones I have owned),..
Wrong. The 3.0 has much more down low. Its curve is similar to the 3.4, btw.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Wrong. The 3.0 has much more down low. Its curve is similar to the 3.4, btw.

wrong, Nice PCE reply dood, You know I have owned at least 5 3.0 rigs and each one of them had no where near the off idle trail power of All of my many 4cyl(carbed or efi).. each one was much easier to stall on the trail than the 22r motor.. and none of the 3.0s had the curve that my 3.4 in my 90 runner had, It had off idle power that none of the 3.0s had..

I guess each and everyone of mine just did not run right :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts