Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and read many overheating issues but none that seemed to be my problem.

Heres the story. Monday I was driving to work going about 75 mph when I began to hear my engine pinging or making the deisel noise. Noticed my water temp was near the red line but still in the OK range. Pulled over to the side of the road, popped the hood but the engine did not smell hot or give any indications of an overheat condition. Got in the truck, the temp was in normal range. So I thought to myself that the thermostat had stuck and finally opened, no more problems. On the return trip home, motor started overheating again. Pulled to side of road and temp began to fall. Replaced thermostat and coolant 50/50 premix. Still over heats at speed 55 - 75 mph. Made sure (the best I could) to get all the air out of the system but still overheats with high rpms. The coolant seems to flow accross the radiator at a good pace. Replaced the radiator cap but no help.

1- Engine begins to run hot at highway speeds, but cools down when engine idles or driven at slow speeds.
2- No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil and no coolant out of the exhaust.

What do you think?

* Co-worker looking over my shoulder suggested the lower radiator hose could be colapsing (spelling?) and causing my overheat problems at high rpm's. I guess that could be happening. I will go buy one after work.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was having a similar issue when it is hot outside here. In my case it was related to using a 16" electric fan that was too small to cover the entire radiator. I ended up getting a Toyota diesel radiator, a Taurus fan with a 185 degree fixed thermo control that actuates a 85A constant duty solenoid for hi-speed fan operation, and a 180* thermostat. I have not had any cooling issues since.

Searched and read many overheating issues but none that seemed to be my problem.

Heres the story. Monday I was driving to work going about 75 mph when I began to hear my engine pinging or making the deisel noise. Noticed my water temp was near the red line but still in the OK range. Pulled over to the side of the road, popped the hood but the engine did not smell hot or give any indications of an overheat condition. Got in the truck, the temp was in normal range. So I thought to myself that the thermostat had stuck and finally opened, no more problems. On the return trip home, motor started overheating again. Pulled to side of road and temp began to fall. Replaced thermostat and coolant 50/50 premix. Still over heats at speed 55 - 75 mph. Made sure (the best I could) to get all the air out of the system but still overheats with high rpms. The coolant seems to flow accross the radiator at a good pace. Replaced the radiator cap but no help.

1- Engine begins to run hot at highway speeds, but cools down when engine idles or driven at slow speeds.
2- No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil and no coolant out of the exhaust.

What do you think?

* Co-worker looking over my shoulder suggested the lower radiator hose could be colapsing (spelling?) and causing my overheat problems at high rpm's. I guess that could be happening. I will go buy one after work.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks seafarinman for the input, but I don't feel my problem is with the fan as it cools properly at low speeds and when stopped for long periods of time. At speed going down the highway the engine should be getting enough ram air through the radiator for proper cooling. The radiator is clean fore and aft.

Leaving to get a new lower radiator hose.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Radiator is clogged. I had a truck one time that ran cool around town but get it out on the highway and it would overheat. Did every thing I knew to do A buddy told me to change out the rad and it took care of it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, just picked up a new radiator and hoses. Old radiator did not look very dirty in the fill cap area, but when I used my bore scope camera the whole end of the radiator was clogged where the inlet/return hose enters the radiator. Thanks for the help so far, now off to replace the radiator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts