Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am out at sea somewhere south of the equator on the far side of the world, and all I can think of is how I am going to rebuild the 3VZE in my truck. I won't be able to do it for a little while, but here are my thoughts. I have never rebuilt a 3.0, so all of these are just ideas. Techies please chime in! I am here to learn. I was looking at a chart with the specs of all the Toyota engines. I heard that the 3.4 is an improvement over the 3.0. No kidding. I have read somewhere that the 3.0 and 3.4 share the same block and crank. I have read that the 3.0 has a bore of 87.5mm and the 3.4 has a bore of 93.5mm. I have read that both engines share the same stroke-82mm. I notice that they sell replacement pistons for the 3.0 that are .020/.030/.040 oversize. IF they share the same block, would it be possible to bore the 3VZE block to 93.5mm or larger (+.020/.030/.040) and use the pistons for the 3.4?
I have read here and elsewhere that there are 3.0 stroker kits out there in development, but I am trying to find the way to get the most power from the least expense from the rebuild that I am going to undertake. Of course I am interested in port matching the heads and intake manifold. i apologize if this is a topic that has been brought up before, but there are a lot of 3.0's out there and not a whole lot of information on proven methods to find some torque in them. for some reason they are mysterious compared to the 4 cylinders. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well the motor is not very popular. I like mine, but if i could do it over i would have went with an SC 3.4 I have bunch of doa racing parts on my motor. but its not enough power for me. It cruises 80 or 90 on the freeway with 37's but i just wanted something more. You should consider the 3.4 swap.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Jack up the radiator cap, pull out that 3.0 anchor and put in a 3.4 or a 4.3 chevy. The 3.0 is too hard and expensive to get any kind of poop out of.
If you just can't afford to do a conversion build a good strong motor with yota parts, and get it breathing better at both ends. Better intake, and bigger exhaust, including cat. The cats have very small, restrictive openings. There used to be a supercharger kit for them, but they proved to be too problematic and I don't think you can get them anymore.
You could swap in a 4.3 for a couple of thou. It will probably cost that to do a good rebuild, and still not have as much power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts