Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I had my V6 I had to replace the plugs and wires quit often. It would eat up the plugs and then trying to get the wires off the wires would rip them apart no matter how I tried to remove them. I understand it is a common thing with the 3.0. What I was told was to get an aftermarker ingnition system and the problems will go a way.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
at my work we turbo charges a 86 corolla that had a 4age in it, it had the ngk plugs and they broke the center out just like that on 2 of the 4 cly. it took the turbo exaust turbine out and fawked the head up pretty good. i have decited to not use ngk any more. i have found that denso plug are a higher quality that the others

Cliff

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just wondering... what plugs does everyone use in their 22RE's or toy engines in general for that matter???

I've always used NGK, maybe I should switch.

I do think the Bosch platinums are CRAP though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I usually use Nippon Denso, but I just installed NGK a few months back since Kragon did not carry the Nippon Denso. Oh and I have the 3.0

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTT!!!:mad: :mad:

It happened again (see above pic of first plug) same cylinder same brand of plug!!!!!!!!!!!

Approx. 10k mi. after my original post, my wife says her runner is running bad again. Same symptoms as before. On a hunch, I pull the plug from the previous culprit cylinder and the insul. is blown again.

SAME CYLINDER, SAME BRAND PLUG!!!

What is causing this. Her truck runs like sh*t. Approx. 11-14 mpg., no power, etc. New timing belt, in perfect time, new plugs and wires!!!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
it looks like she is running hot . and if detination is occurring . it could be from low fuel through injector into that cyl the more fuel it gets the richer as well as cooler she will run . what is the gap you are setting them at ? from the pic it don't look like the plug is contacting the piston . but it looks like thay cyl is running hot . check your injector . i have seen this happen on bikes too . just a thought .

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same thing on my old 3.0 on the same cyl each time. Ended up being the head gasket was gone and that was the worst cyl. Hope it turns out better for you.

Mike.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last cyl. on the driver's side, against the firewall... can't remember the number.

I think it is getting too hot as well. But... why? I read somewhere on Pirate that the stock exhaust manifold was closer to that cyl. and made it hotter than the rest.

I hope its not the HG. If it is I wonder if the campaign will cover it? Its a 95 w/118k.

Injector cleaner? Compression check? Whats next?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zags said:
I can't see the pic really well. Are there little siver specs on the base of the plug? That would be s ure sign of detonation.
I didn't see any silver specs. The plug looked pretty normal besides the insulator being broken. I've already thrown the first plug away, thinking it was a fluke... but I still have the most recent one.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts