Pirate 4x4 banner

3.0 To 3.4 (3vz To 5vzfe) Swap

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Toyota4x4v6 
#1 · (Edited)
So i thought i would document my swap, i know there are plenty of other swaps out there, but i figure more swaps, more info for every one else who wants to do it.

So several months ago i drove to Canada and picked up a 3.4 from a 1998 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 Auto. To put into my 1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 5 Spd
The guy i bought it from through a R150F transmission in for free, along with some other parts and a box a Toyota bolts.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First off, i flipped it over and pulled off the old oil pan. scraped off the old FIPG.
Then i modified the oil Baffle to clear the 3.0 pickup tube, by grinding several areas around the edges and cutting a hole in the center, Before i put it back in i took it to the sand blaster and cleaned it up real good. The 3.0 pickup tube bolted up nicely to the block with no problems. You can easily see the difference between the 3.0 and 3.4 pickup tubes.

Attachments

#6 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
So then i cleaned up the tranny
stripped the wiring harness out of the 3.0 and pulled the gauge cluster out and sent it off to Toyonlyswaps
I also bought a High pressure fuel line extension, High pressure power steering hose and battery tray from Off Road Solutions

Attachments

#9 ·
New 3.4 Flywheel and clutch
Then mated the tranny to the 3.4
Bolted on the cross over pipe with new gaskets
And dropped it in

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
So since the fuse box is on the passengers side and the battery is on the right the main power source needs to be extended. So i went to Mclendons and bought about 6 or 7ft of 8 Gauge wire. (cant remember how long). Then wired it back to the positive battery terminal. Using this guys instructions 3.4 Swap 101 - YotaTech Forums

Attachments

#15 ·
Just some advise.......take the heat wrap off and try to affix the stock heat shield that was on there. Many, many reports of the heat wrap causing heat buildup and therefore cracks and breaks. Also, water and moisture retention causes rusting.

Also, curious why my had to send the gauge cluster to the wiring company? Are they simply soldering the resistor on the tach for you?

#16 ·
Well i was going to use the old heat shield but i mangled it pretty good getting it off, and the heat wrap i put on isn't on there super tight either so im not too worried about alot of heat build up. For the gauge cluster i was going to solder the resistor on my self but then the guy from toyonlyswaps told me it would cost the same regardless of if they soldered it or i did. So i just figured i might as well let them do it, since its just one less thing i needed to worry about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.