Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I've gotta replace the water pump on my wife's '91 Runner with the 3.0 V6. How much of a PITA is this to do? I read the service manual and it sounds like all the engine accessories, timing belt, etc. have to come off to replace it. How much of a job is it really? I've always played with the 22RE's...way simpler than the V6.

·
Registered
143 Posts
DToy said:
Looks like I've gotta replace the water pump on my wife's '91 Runner with the 3.0 V6. How much of a PITA is this to do? I read the service manual and it sounds like all the engine accessories, timing belt, etc. have to come off to replace it. How much of a job is it really? I've always played with the 22RE's...way simpler than the V6.
If you are a good mechanic you should have no problem with this job. If I were you I would set the #1 piston to TDC before I even started taking it apart.

To answer your question, it is a PITA because the waterpump is buried behind everything. You should be able to leave the P/S pump and Alt in place for this job. take out the radiator to give yourself some room to work and get an air tool on the harmonic balancer bolt.

Good Luck

·
Registered
584 Posts
It's not bad after you have done dozens of them, you figure out the tricks, mark the old t-belt and pulleys with paint and transfer the marks to the new belt and line them up with the pulleys. You dont even have to go to TDC but it helps the cams not to float, and if you loose your paint mark. Also replace the idler and tensioner bearings because they will not make it to the next time you need to do a timing belt/waterpump. ONLY USE OE PARTS FROM THE DEALER otherwise you'll be doing it again soon. I have had aftermaket come back and bite me in the ass. Make sure you give them the production date of the truck to parts guys because there are about 4 styles of pumps for the 3.0 Have fun. :grinpimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts