Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been thinking about making a 3/4 eliptical rear with revolvers, using chevy springs, has anyone done this yet? how does it work, anyone have any pics showing flex, or installation?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Why? :confused: Save your money and just let the rear end of the spring flop around against the frame without a shackle. You will get mad flex! :flipoff2:

Revolvers and buggy leaves both accomplish (basically) the same thing, so it would be redundant to use them both. The Revolvers are more expensive and are prone to opening when you are climbing, so you would probably be better off with the buggy leaf if you really want more travel.

I know that wasn't the question that you asked, but you got the answer anyway. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
Dirty Harry said:
Why? :confused: Save your money and just let the rear end of the spring flop around against the frame without a shackle. You will get mad flex! :flipoff2:

Revolvers and buggy leaves both accomplish (basically) the same thing, so it would be redundant to use them both. The Revolvers are more expensive and are prone to opening when you are climbing, so you would probably be better off with the buggy leaf if you really want more travel.

I know that wasn't the question that you asked, but you got the answer anyway. :flipoff2:
driving without the shackle actually works, I've done it.:D :eek: missing a bolt in the drivers rear shackle and decide to keep going through the trail till I found somebody that had one, ended up leaving the trail with a 3/8 extenion for a bolt and a pair of vice grips to keep it from sliding back out.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
256 Posts
a buddy of mine has chevy springs revolvers and a half length toyota main leaf for the buggy mad flex yes:D no binding of springs do to revolves:D but dont plan on doing anything vertical or doing any kind of valve floating and side steping clutch IMHO
buggies suck and i run a 56" chevy spring for a buggy

sorry cant post pics but there is a thread from last year some time that talks a lot about it
(buggy springs who likes'em who doesn't)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my buddy seems to think that this system is weak and it will cause the buggy spring to bend or break. The problem is see is that the revolvers only allow a swivel movement, what i need is like a ball joint setup, i could use the aor ball joint springs, but i think it would be a waste to chop a new spring, plus they are pretty $$$. I want maximum drop/flex but i still want a good street ride, can anyone show me some pics or direct me to a good site?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yeah, i have 2 sets of chevy springs and a pair of revolvers so im trying to sue what i got

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Why dont you just inboard the chevys a bit and use a regular shackle or possibly the buggy. I went in 3 inches per side and it helps quite a bit. another advantage is that it still handles good on the street and will take what little power my 22r can give it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
some pics of the imboard flex would be nice cause im ditchen the buggys they suck and am going about three inches each side:D

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
all those 'gimmicks' look great on an rti ramp, but suck ass on the trail. as soon as you loose a little traction on climbs, it exagerates axle wrap, unloads and you have to get off the gas and restart your approach.

i admittingly have dual shackles on my rear chevies, thats how the truck came and im too lazy to fix it. they suck and always start the hoppin, wrappin thing just when your havin fun....

i guess if you incorporate a traction bar itll alleviate most of the probs and still let you have that crazy lookin flex..."is your truck broken?, is the axle falling off?"

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
sorry no flex shots but i emailed you some pics. you can see where the tire hits the flatbad pretty bad. its an 85 axle with 2" spacers. like booger said, a normal leaf spring setup, if youre using leaf springs, is the best way to go. I tried some revolvers and my buddies had dual shckles for a while but when youre really wheelin they just dont cut it. I'm thinking about going in a bit further next time but we'll see when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts