Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First and foremost, sorry in advanced for not posting an uber high tech question but i'm in a pinch and the other form i posted it is not generating suggestions fast enough, so here it goes...

Hey everyone, just picked up a 96 4runner with the 3.4 and it was idling kinda rough and kept throwing a cylinder three misfire code but ran decent enough. I went through all the basic stuff, plugs, wires, throttle body, sensors, fuel injectors, coil packs ect and could not find the problem. Finally I borrowed a compression tester and found cylinder 3 had low compression. I did a wet test and compression did not improve so I figured it had to be the head gasket. ( also had a sweet smelling exhaust and was losing coolant) So I ordered up a head gasket as well as all the stuff to to the timing belt, water-pump ect. since I would be in there and went to town. Pulled the passenger side head, looked everything over but didn't find anything wrong. Valves were pretty clean seating well, so I checked to make sure it was flat and re installed it, did the timing belt and got the whole thing back together. Now here is were I need help... I started the truck and it had a hard time turning over, it acted like it was under a huge load and did not want to turn. After a few cranks it fired up but would immediately die. After a few more tries it started and idled, high but smooth, and seemed to run ok. I let it run for a bit until i noticed it was running way rich, and not idling down. It would also if given any gas rev very slowly, and then randomly start making a clanking kind of noise from the front of the motor. ( sounds like a bolt bouncing around in a metal bowl) It would only make this noise when on the gas and I could not find a pattern to it. RPM did not affect the volume or the intensity? If I put the truck in gear idle speed would crash and it would barely run. I pulled it back apart and cant find the problem, Nothing fell into the valves, the timing belt it dead on, nothing was loose that I could find? I'm at a loss, what is I do wrong to make it run this way? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Oh and on a side note, When I was re installing the cams I noticed that the intake cam gear had two dots and the exhaust cam had one dot. I know this is not correct and they should match but will that hurt anything? They are lined up correctly just not paired. It ran decent when I got it and that's the way they were installed. Thanks

· Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I pinned it but once i pulled the cams my pin fell out, who ever was in there last did not use the service bolt. Before I re installed them I did load up the sub gear and install the service bolt. ( and once the cams were in i removed the bolt) is there a way I could have done it backwards?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.