Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost, sorry in advanced for not posting an uber high tech question but i'm in a pinch and the other form i posted it is not generating suggestions fast enough, so here it goes...

Hey everyone, just picked up a 96 4runner with the 3.4 and it was idling kinda rough and kept throwing a cylinder three misfire code but ran decent enough. I went through all the basic stuff, plugs, wires, throttle body, sensors, fuel injectors, coil packs ect and could not find the problem. Finally I borrowed a compression tester and found cylinder 3 had low compression. I did a wet test and compression did not improve so I figured it had to be the head gasket. ( also had a sweet smelling exhaust and was losing coolant) So I ordered up a head gasket as well as all the stuff to to the timing belt, water-pump ect. since I would be in there and went to town. Pulled the passenger side head, looked everything over but didn't find anything wrong. Valves were pretty clean seating well, so I checked to make sure it was flat and re installed it, did the timing belt and got the whole thing back together. Now here is were I need help... I started the truck and it had a hard time turning over, it acted like it was under a huge load and did not want to turn. After a few cranks it fired up but would immediately die. After a few more tries it started and idled, high but smooth, and seemed to run ok. I let it run for a bit until i noticed it was running way rich, and not idling down. It would also if given any gas rev very slowly, and then randomly start making a clanking kind of noise from the front of the motor. ( sounds like a bolt bouncing around in a metal bowl) It would only make this noise when on the gas and I could not find a pattern to it. RPM did not affect the volume or the intensity? If I put the truck in gear idle speed would crash and it would barely run. I pulled it back apart and cant find the problem, Nothing fell into the valves, the timing belt it dead on, nothing was loose that I could find? I'm at a loss, what is I do wrong to make it run this way? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Oh and on a side note, When I was re installing the cams I noticed that the intake cam gear had two dots and the exhaust cam had one dot. I know this is not correct and they should match but will that hurt anything? They are lined up correctly just not paired. It ran decent when I got it and that's the way they were installed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Did you put a pin in the exhaust cam sprocket before taking apart? Its spring loaded to take up lash between the exhaust and intake cams. If it wasnt reinstalled correctly it will throw the cams out just enough to cause problems.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I pinned it but once i pulled the cams my pin fell out, who ever was in there last did not use the service bolt. Before I re installed them I did load up the sub gear and install the service bolt. ( and once the cams were in i removed the bolt) is there a way I could have done it backwards?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts