Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am at the final stages of my 3.4 swap and I have an issue of the speedo not working.

Everything else works fine as far as the motor is concerned and the electrical in that truck all works perfectly from what I can tell but no speedo.

On the speedo there is a "S" terminal that goes into a Green/red wire (D1). I have that connected to the green/orange wire coming from the 3.4 ECM. I thought that I had read this is the way to do it but its not working.

From the EWD's it looks like the abs sensors feed the spedo but this cant be right because I am thinking there are plenty of guys who have 3.4 swapped and i doubt anyone changed to newer abs sensors.

there is also a "4P" lug on the speedo that runs to a green/blue wire from the comb meter harness. I can not figure out the function of this wire form the diagrams. I currently have nothing connected to this.

Anyone done a 3.4 swap that can help me get this last thing done and off to the smog ref and see what issues he has for me?

truck is 92 excab, donor is 3.4 from 97 runner w/auto (340F) which is also installed

thanks in advance if you can help.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you used a 97 4runner engine and harness then you will not have speedo wiring in that harness.. All the 4runners around that year with abs use wheel speed sensors for speedo readings.. You will need to make a harness from the ecu to the speed sensor on the back of your t case.. I just went trough this.. Same problem.. Easy fix though , let me look at the connector and get u the pin numbers you need to make it work... Who made your adapter or wiring harness?

If you look at the back of your trans and transfer you will notice where a speed sensor would go is just a block off plug.. I believe you can put a factory speed sensor in that location..

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did my wiring myself.

I am using the stock Toyota harness and spliced it together with the 92 wiring where needed.

I am also using the stock 97 driver's drop transfer case so that the stock cat will fit and just to make things easier to get through the ref. So basically its stock 97 from motor to driveline.

thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Ok here ya go, your stock 92 toy is already pinned for electronic speedo so if your looking at the harness plug face on with the clip up top number one will be in the upper right corner. U will be using pin number 8, 13and 19. So on ur adapter plug you should have those pins open or unused.. .. Ok so now once you make a three wire harness a few feet long the first pin we will use is number 8 and that will go to #1 on the speed sensor plug, then pin #13 will go to #2 on the speed sensor plug., and last but not least pin #19 on the connector will go to posistion #3 on speed sensor plug. Hope that helps! Sorry I don't have any pictures :(

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
3rd gen 4runners all have ABS and the Speed signal comes from the ABS computer after it reads the wheel sensor data and converts it to VSS.

You will need to install a VSS in the t-case instead and wire from that to the speed signal on the ECU. Plenty of info in this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626684

If you had a cable drive t-case that drove your speedo, then you could tap into the VSS signal off the speedo. Sounds like you will be able to drive the speedo from the VSS instead according to T1tndra though.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Nice! Didn't even know about that darn thread!! It's basically the same as what mossyrocks did but instead of going directly to the speedo you'll be going to the body harness plug that should be pre wired if you originally had electric speed sensor, which it should be..

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I think that I understand everything.

I have the stock 150 tranny and transfer case that was in the 92 pickup originally and it has the VSS in the rear tailpiece. I am thinking that I would be able to use that one instead of hunting for one and spending money.

Reason I think that is that both the 97 and 92 speedos look exactly the same. +,-,4p, and S on the back.

I am wondering if I can plug that VSS in the tailpiece of the 97 Runner and wiring it up.

Anyone have a thought?

SO I would wire the VSS from the chain driven case from my 92 to power, ground, and then the sensor wire to the 4p on the speedo, the S would go to the ECM via the green/orange wire??

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
yep, that should be the one you need. If your 92 already had it though, you shouldn't need to do any wiring because its already there. Or did you cut it out?

[Edit] yeah, I guess I'm saying the same thing he did above.

·
Lifer
492 Posts
Damn, I didn't even realize the 3.4 harness doesn't have the VSS wiring... :homer:

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Depends what harness you have. 4runners don't. Some of the Tacoma's do.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took all the stock 3.0 stuff out. Wiring and all. Luckily I have it all on the side of the house. Right now its out there getting rained on.

I'll dig the plug out of the harness in the morning and give all this a shot.

I''ll update..........

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Updating for future searches or guy completing this swap.

My situation is unique though as I cant imagine many people putting a Tacoma driver drop into a 92 pickup. I have to do this for some smog issues here in California and then its going gear driven case after I clear the ref. the drivers drop give me more room to temporarily have the stock 97 cat in there without having to modify the stock 97 downpipe and o2 sensors. Since I am using the 340F from the 97 Runner anyway it was no extra cost or time in installing the Runner transfer case. It just means that when I change to gear driven, I'll do it under the truck rather than on the bench.

Anyway, there is no VSS for the speedo in the transfer case since the Runner that was my donor uses the ABS sensors to drive the speedo. I took the one from my stock 92 transfer case(chain driven) and it fit perfectly.

In case you don't know, this is the VSS in the 92 transfer case.

The newer case has the provision, but no sensor.

I forgot to snap a shot of the sensor out but it looks similar to this one I grabbed from Marlin's site. Marlin gets $210 for this thing!!! I think that you could but a whole chain driven case WITH the sensor for $50 off a Toyota board's classifieds or Craigslist and then have a perfectly good boat anchor after robbing the sensor.

Be prepared when you pull the block-off from the transfer as you will get a few cups of oil that pour out........at least I did. I forgot and made a damn mess.

Luckily, I still had my old 3.0 harness so i robbed the plug and the wire from it. the colors are:
black/orange (b-o if you are looking in a FSM)
green/blue (G-L.... L is blue in toyota wiring diagrams):confused:
green/red G-R

At first I ran these straight to the speedo just through the door to see if it was going to work. It did not and then I was getting nervous and pissed off. I then remembered T1TNDRA's (THANKS) post and tore the kick panel apart again.

My truck ran great and everything seemed good so i had taped everything up in there and thought I was done with the wiring part. Out came the razor blade, cutting open taped up looms. I found the loom i needed and sure enough found the matching wires there. Bitch is, I already had them labeled "speed sensor" :shaking:. I didn't understand how the system worked then though. I was just matching wires to the FSM and labeling everything.

Here are the wires:

Hooked them up there and started the truck up. I am "driving" in the garage because the weather sucks and I don't want water all over the floor and the bottom of the truck all wet and dirty as I work on it since this is what was going on.

Solution:

After hooking the wires in the kick panel I had success finally!! Speedo needle rose up and started to move. I have no idea how accurate it is but its working! This is taken with the truck in drive and rear wheels spinning.

Now the odometer is not working! LOL
Not sure whats up with that but i assume that there is something wrong mechanically inside the speedo.

Anyway, hope this helps someone else out with similar issues if they are swapping things from different generations like I am.

Everything may not apply, but generally it should I think.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Glad to hear it's working!! Kinda a pain but feels good when it's done ... What referee are you taking it to?

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
calling tomorrow to make an appt in Fresno. Hopefully that goes well!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts