Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

In a C series IH truck, besides cosmetics, what is diffrent between the two ratings? I know 3/4 tons have better axles, and a diffrent wheel pattern, but is that it? are the springs diffrent?

I'm wondering if I found a killer deal on a half ton, what would it take to convert it to 3/4 ton?

NQS

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
well I'm asuming its a 1968 1200-C series?? or a 66 C-1200?

front has a HD dana 44 up front (lage ball and external locking hubs) is its a 1/2 ton (1100) it has a small ball dana 44 with internal hubs

rear is a dana 60 or an IH corperet in the 3/4 ton and the 1/2 has a dana 44

both use an divorced NP 202 transfercase engins could be anything from a small inline 6 (most un likly) or a V8

3/4 ton has heaver duty springs then the 1/2 ton

the 1/2 has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and the 3/4 has tis very rear large 6 lug bolt pattern with split rims

if you want to make a killer 3/4 ton IH just kiss, swap in chevy 3/4 (or 1 ton) axels no point in fwaking around with them odd ball axels

any thing else you want to know

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chief yelling alot said:
well I'm asuming its a 1968 1200-C series?? or a 66 C-1200?

No specific trucks in mind. I really like to look of the c series travelette, but right now I'm too broke to go looking for any in particular.

I may know of a '68 1100 i can get reasonably, but i need something I can tow with

if you want to make a killer 3/4 ton IH just kiss, swap in chevy 3/4 (or 1 ton) axels no point in fwaking around with them odd ball axels

Thats what I was thinking of doing.

NQS

·
Registered
5,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chief yelling alot said:

well you can save the hassel and buy this rust bucket for cheap and it has the axel converion done allready

Th price is right, but I'm interested in either a travelette or travelall

Was yust chatting with ryan, said he'd deliver one here for gas money. but from his location still pretty expensive.

When I get serious, I'll most likely start looking down in arizona for a rust free one

NQS

·
Registered
12,930 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Joe,

Depends on what "3/4T" features you want.

I only have info for '71, but in '71 the 1/2Ts had a lighter frame than the 3/4 and 1Ts (they shared the same general frame, except for the LWB Travelette that got an even beefier frame)

So the 1/2T frame will be lighter.

You'll want to change to the 3/4T or better leaf springs (and/or air-bags) to go with the higher GVW axles and tires.

For towing most trailers, the frame strength probably won't be an issue. The 1/2T frame is fine for attaching a receiver hitch and pulling 6-8k-lbs.

For that matter, if the 1/2T is in *good* shape, you could probably pull with it as-is for a while.

I used my 1110 Travelall to pull with for about 6 months. Less than idea, but it worked alright once I learned how to load the tongue weight and how to drive it correctly.

Definitely prefer the excessive GVWR of the Travelette though.. doesn't care how the tongue weight is..

I think the different frames will become an issue only when you start pushing the limits. 10k-lbs trailer maybe.. or loading a full ton or more of "stuff" in the box.

Otherwise.. buy the 1/2T, change out the springs and get some axles from a 73-91 Chevy 3/4 or 1T pickup or Suburban and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I like it

Chief yelling alot said:

hell at that price ide buy it too an just slap on my 68 title

its just 4 screws

edit

Bwahahahaha "dayna" axels bwahahah
You Canadians get away with using screws?

Anything other than pop-rivets draws suspicion around here..

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I like it

Chief yelling alot said:

hell at that price ide buy it too an just slap on my 68 title

its just 4 screws

edit

Bwahahahaha "dayna" axels bwahahah
And if you don't just happen to have a '68 title and VIN plate laying around......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,930 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I like it

TORC said:

And if you don't just happen to have a '68 title and VIN plate laying around......:rolleyes:
Washington, file for lost title, produce a signed bill of sale from previous owner, file it all, pay your fee, a couple other little things, and be done. You won't get full title for a couple years or something, but it is legal, legal to own, and legal to drive.

Still have to pass some inspections to bring it into the state, but a little elbow grease....

Figure one of these days I will convert my Pickup to 4wd. Need that 4wd for some of the places I take the Boy Scouts camping...

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: I like it

TORC said:

(caugh) Read sig (caugh) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and yup factory philups screws on the vin plate

they never check for that crap around hear

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I like it

Hooper said:

Washington, file for lost title, produce a signed bill of sale from previous owner, file it all, pay your fee, a couple other little things, and be done. You won't get full title for a couple years or something, but it is legal, legal to own, and legal to drive.

Still have to pass some inspections to bring it into the state, but a little elbow grease....

Figure one of these days I will convert my Pickup to 4wd. Need that 4wd for some of the places I take the Boy Scouts camping...
What about the fact that the VIN plate was also removed and placed on another vehicle. If you applied for a lost title, then there would be two vehicles sporting the same VIN. Does that shit fly in Washington?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tsm1mt said:
I think the different frames will become an issue only when you start pushing the limits. 10k-lbs trailer maybe.. or loading a full ton or more of "stuff" in the box.

I'd like to be able tow a single vehicle trailer and use a slide in camper. I may to cut down on weight & cost get a truck bed tent, but I want a kitchen, so that means camper

NQS

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I like it

Chief yelling alot said:

(caugh) Read sig (caugh) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and yup factory philups screws on the vin plate

they never check for that crap around hear

And your one to make fun of someone's spelling mistakes....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.