Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i HAVE A HIGH MILAGE ISUSZU TROOPER 1991,same eng as chevy . it has little compression if any on two cjclinders mentioned . i pulled the plugs blew air into #5 with toliet paper lit near number 3 , got nice flame from #3. got me thinking head gasket ? what do you think . this motor burns 1 qt. oil every 200 miles . its just a work ride so i don;t want to put too much money in it . if i pull the heads and its needs a new gassket . what work do you think i should have done to the heads. anyone have a good 2.8 for sale near state of az?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just to let you know, chevy 2.8 L are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

I blew a head gasket in a 2.8 L that I had in an '84 camaro. My problem was that water got into the engine and I ended up with that nice "milkshake" mess. Anyway, fortunately for you, you shouldn't have to go through the whole thing. I would recommend replacing the head gasket, but also take the heads into a shop and have them dipped, magnafluxed, and checked to make sure they're not warped. This is all pretty much standard when you bring them in. Also, have them check the valves and seals. It cost me around $180 to have the heads done. Before you put it back together, take a straight edge and make sure the block surface isn't warped. Also, check the cylinders to make sure that the rings are sealing good and oil isn't leaking through. I have also done this for a couple of buddies with their toyota engines, when they had low compression in some cylinders. With having the heads done, and new gaskets, you should be able to do it under $250-$300 easily. It might be less than that, but that's my rough estimate. I did my V6 a few years ago, and gave the receipts with the car when i sold it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] because i might forget to check back on this thread.

- Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
just droppin' in a note...

I have an 84 Jeep XJ which had the s-10 2.8l with the small journal crank, blew up of course, so I went to my local pick-n-pull yard and got myself an 87 camaro 2.8l block, slapped on some 91 lumina van heads. (I think the # was 14054884 if memory serves correctly) By doing this, I upped my compression to 8.9:1, got the larger journal crank with one-piece seal, and got the camaro camshaft. Worked great until I slapped on some 33" BFGs.
Just my two-cents worth.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
IMHO, putting ANY money in a 2.8 is not a good idea. That is one of the worst engines that GM made, especially the small journal version. I have a buddy that had an S-10 with the 2.8. When he bought it, it had 10k on the rebuilt motor. 5k later, the crankshaft broke. The motor had a 30k warranty on it, but it said in the paperwork that a crankshaft on the 2.8 WAS NOT COVERED!
What if you pull the heads and discover that the block is warped? Or you do the heads and the crank goes in 2k? Then you STILL need a motor. If it were me, I would find a used 4.3 and throw a carb and intake on it. I know it will be more $$$, but you will be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
600 Posts
heads for them are cheep you should be able to get a good used set since they throw rods before the heads get worn toooo bad 50.00 and new head gaskets any way just do it all that way there are no surprises

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.