Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker but first post.
So basically I have an 89 YJ thas has a carburetored 2.5
The motor runs ok but the ax 5 has lost 4th gear and it's always been kinda lacking on power. There is a guy in town with a wrecked Dakota with a 3.9 and a 5 speed manual. It runs and I can get the whole truck for less than $500. Anybody try to put this combination together yet? What issues did you run into? Not planning on rock crawling, just some trails and maybe some sand dunes.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
If I were going to the trouble of doing a swap, it would be to a tbi chevy for cost/ease factor. I've read the magnum engines are easy-ish to do, but tbi engines are simple, cheap, and you can get a reasonably priced stand-alone harness for them. Find a running donor and plop it all in. Pick v6 or v8 (I would pick v8 if going to the trouble).
Travis..

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's do-able. I assume the Dakota is a 4x4. '92-'95 OBD1 will be easier to get everything running. '96+ a lot harder, if smog tests are required in your state.

You might be able to reuse the stock exhaust manifolds, headpipe and cat. The YJ has a comparatively wide frame. The stock Dakota air cleaner should fit well (Old School first gen Dakota type). The later second gen Dakota fender mounted filter might be made to fit, too.

Use a '94-'95 YJ slave/master assembly, will go right to the Dodge trans.

Use the input from the Dodge t-case in the jeep 231. The 4 cylinder has 21 splines, the Dodge, 23. If the Dakota is '95 or newer, you will probably need to switch out the planetary set, as there was a change in gear angle around that time.

The fuel pump will need to be changed in the pump module, the '89 YJ TBI is a low pressure pump A stock 4.0l pump or pump module from a '91 YJ will fit and plug in. Might be able to swap in the pump from the Dakota onto the YJ pump module, not sure.

The tach will work if you match the input to the proper pin in the Dodge PCM. It puts out a 4 cylinder signal on all the SBECs and some JTECS. Might have to find a 4.2l tack if using a late JTEC without a tach output, tap it into the coil control wire from the pcm.

Use the YJ sending units for the temp gauge and oil pressure. A OBD1 3.9 intake will accept the temp sensor. If it's OBD2, it probably won't have a 1/8" pipe plug hole for the temp sensor so you will need to drill and tap it for it near the thermostat outlet. the OBD1 3.9l gauge sender has one wire, the PCM coolant temp sensor has two wires (OBD1 and 2), leave that connected.

Radiator outlets will need to be switched on your old radiator or a Chevy type swap radiator can be fitted. You might be able to use the Dakota hses, amybe with an extension of straight water hose depending on set-back.

You can fab up motor mounts using the stock Dakota mounts. The Advance Adapter V8 Dodge mount kit won't work because the V6 block doesn't have the old school 318/360 V8 mounting ears.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts