Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being lucky enough to have 3 Cruisers is not something I take for granted, I have been truly blessed to be able to pursue something I enjoy and to have the strength and meager finances to keep these trucks running and maintained as they should be.

Knowing when to throw the towel in while trying to get a stalling "miss" out of my FJ40 I had just dropped it at the local shop. Good fuel, plugs & filters had yielded no results and further tinkering by me was futile at this point so I gave in. Returning home I hopped in my reliable FJ60 and for the first time since taking ownership she refused to start...

It was Friday and I was home alone wondering how in the hell I ended up with 3 trucks and no ride, feeling a bit defeated I sat down and drank a beer and pondered how I might get to work Monday morning.

The FJ45 was the only truck running and losing the keys was an adventure in its self. While I was very happy to be able to start and drive the beast around I still had a 35-45 mph death wobble that I needed to track down, the p.s. pump was toast and no tail lights or turn signals had me using hand signals that people didn't understand.

Taking all my Christmas presents (tools and a creeper) I fired up my only running truck and pulled her in the garage, Monday morning I had to have a ride to work and this was it! It only took a few minutes to find the wobble, a taco'ed tie rod and a gutless steering stabilizer. With limited skills and new tools I rolled under the truck and went to work.

After the first hour of cursing and knuckle bashing I had straightened the tie rod but the stabilizer would not budge, every nut and bolt was seized and nothing was working. Getting pissed is not always a bad thing as it makes me creative and this is when I found my new tool of choice, THE ANGLE GRINDER!

Standing at the counter at Auto-Zone I was in no mood to debate about what was in the computer. Likewise, I didn't bother to tell the counter jockey that bumping the year model to 1968 while searching for FJ45 parts was NOT going to help. Placing the blown out shock on the counter ended the conversation and after some prodding I even got the rubber grommets and nuts I needed for the install.

Re-installation took no time, it was Saturday night and I took a test drive around the block and the wobble was gone. I still had Sunday to prepare and went to bed feeling very proud of my work and dreamed of Cruisers and grinders all night;)

Sunday was another beautiful day, 71 degrees in January in the Deep South... unheard of. I painted the old chrome wheels black and re-installed the BFG mt's, the 45 was looking good and running great. I soaked every nut and bolt I could reach with rust eater for future projects, cleaned all the glass and removed the broken trailer lights from the rear.

As darkness fell Sunday night I scrambled around picking up tools and cleaning up. I felt great about the progress and parked the 45 in the house garage for the a.m. trip, I had overcome adversity and learned alot wrenching on my own junk, life was good.

Walking by the still parked FJ60 I reached inside and grabbed my garage door opener and a jacket, I wondered if bad fuel had gotten to both trucks since they failed simultaneously, when almost as a joke I popped the key in the ignition and she fired on the first try.

Jerry Hocutt

·
Registered
10,178 Posts
Deep South Cruisers said:
when almost as a joke I popped the key in the ignition and she fired on the first try.
I find cruisers are like women, they will work when they are damn good and ready. And ain't no amount of tinkering, poking or prodding gonna change that any. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dammmmn:mad:

I hate it when that happens.

I have a DD and every weekend I would break something. So Sunday was a hell of a day trying to get back together. I hate the fact that you have to buy alot of parts from people out of the area. Usually in California. The good thing is that here in Dallas the Toyota dealers have gotten wise and started shipping over night dealer parts and giving us a 25% discount.

At least you hung in there.:beer:

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
Wow! I read the whole stoy! And I even found myself sucked in, I had to keep reading! Great story!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Good Story,

Had a similar experience with my mini trucks and cruiser. My 88 mini truck frame was trashed and I had been searching for a 4runner to replace bought an 85(yippy) 4runner for 600 needed some work but no biggy, drove it for a week and the head gasket popped. Motor had like 225k on it..ok so since the frame is shot on the pickup may as well swap the “good” engine from the pickup in the 4runner…started this around thanksgiving…still not done but getting close. So I was down to driving the 40 everyday..not to to bad but not great either for gas mileage or comfort. Well Sunday before Christmas I am driving down the highway to the parents house(were the garage and tools are) and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, no power…pull over to side of road…(had retimed the truck the night before and it was running great) Grab the distributor and pull it out by hand..ok so the clamp came loose. Give dad a call and he comes with tools ect to put it back in and retime the engine…well after about 1.5 hours of trying to retime it we figured out that the rotor wasn’t moving with the flywheel(broken timing gears is the assumption and I haven’t looked at it yet because it just pissed me off) So got it flat bedded home(I love AAA) SO I gave up and went out and bought a 99 Dodge 2500 CTD 5spd, quad cab, 8ft bed. Now I can build my truck and just tow it around with the dodge and not worry abouti..though now I have to worry about maintain the dodge:( oh well least i have a nice comfy ride quality to and from the trail ect....anybody got a car trailer for sale cheap?

Stew

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dog walker said:
Wow! I read the whole stoy! And I even found myself sucked in, I had to keep reading! Great story!
Thanks man!

Trying to improve my penmanship and just telling it like it is ;)

I'm still driving the 60 daily but she needs some work, I have a terribly low idle, & an exhaust leak. I believe the non-start issue was from dieseling & after taking several short trips all the fuel evaporated after shut down.

The Fj40 is another story, the mechanic called three times yesterday asking questions about the V8 and told me the wrong plugs were installed (by my Toyota ASE guy!) , that I didn't have a harmonic balancer and that it was not a fuel problem.

He said I only had spark on 3 plug wires and he couldn't figure it out :rolleyes: It was running GREAT before and started loading up and dying at idle like it was too rich. It smooths out at higher RPM's but something is definately amiss:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts
You got it all wrong deep south:rolleyes:

I caught you slacking on the 45 so I yanked the wires on the 60:flipoff2:
You fixed the 45 and I put the wires back on the 60..... Just refer to me as your "Cruiser Conscience"

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Myanarchy said:
You got it all wrong deep south:rolleyes:
I caught you slacking on the 45 so I yanked the wires on the 60:flipoff2:
You fixed the 45 and I put the wires back on the 60..... Just refer to me as your "Cruiser Conscience"

The wife almost suffered a bodily injury when she stuck her head out of the house and saw me under the 45 and said "your working on the wrong truck" :mad:

·
Premium Member
17,819 Posts

The wife almost suffered a bodily injury when she stuck her head out of the house and saw me under the 45 and said "your working on the wrong truck" :mad:
Just doing my job to help cruisers everywhere (mine excluded) to leave the driveway:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I just want to know why every one of my cruisers will, at any given time, have a flat tire? New tires, old tires, expensive or cheap they all go flat all the time:confused:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
HAHAHA... Its because you keep runnin over the that patch of nails at the end of the driveway!!

The theory of rest always comes through for me... at least with cruisers

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I firmly believe that there are magic elves that live in my shop. If i leave a broken truck alone long enough they will come out at night and fix it.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts

:eek:

DO THEY LOOK LIKE THIS??? :laughing:
I don't know if I want to use this :laughing: , this :eek: , or this :barf: . I'm leaning towards the last of the three... yep... definitely :barf:

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
My wife and her co-workers say I look good as Peter Pan............:confused: :confused:
HHHHMMMM

Butch:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
texican said:
My wife and her co-workers say I look good as Peter Pan............:confused: :confused:
HHHHMMMM

Butch:flipoff2: :flipoff2:
Butch,

I got those parts out to you. You should see them via FedEx by tomorrow afternoon!!:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts