Pirate 4x4 banner
541 - 560 of 588 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
Whens the shop getting done?

Curious why the cab change since this isn't a DD or anything?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Whens the shop getting done?

Curious why the cab change since this isn't a DD or anything?
Shop should be done by the first of the year, i hope. They poured the pad today, now just waiting for the building package.

The cab change is for ease of getting my kids in and out of the back. I've hated the three door from day one. Plus i looked under it a couple weeks ago, and discovered that my cab mounts were not in the greatest shape. They're basically rusting out at the sheet metal bolt points. This being cheap enough was the icing on the cake. Can't beat a whole cab for 200 including most of the interior, and rear doors. A splash of paint along with the new fenders, and this truck will be mostly rust free after i replace the can corners, and maybe the rockers if i feel like i have to take off too much metal to cut the rust out of those.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Ah gotcha, I didn't realize the 4th door was one of the benefits. Nice snag!
Another plus is that i can install the cage without having to tear mine apart. I'm planning on installing my new trans this week, so i can wheel it while I'm getting the cage worked out. Less down time, more wheeling time:smokin:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Heh heh, I'd like to, but i doubt i can make it as affordable as some of the kits I've seen online. Dman and i found some nice looking kits that will be nicer looking and easier to install than a custom cage. I don't know that i can afford one, especially with the eco box being priority for the next purchase. If i can't swing it, I'll just buy some tube and dies for my bender and work it out.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
At least take measurements of each tube and each bend for us :flipoff2:

IDK where in Michigan you are, but if you DID make a kit that tucked up tight and wasn't too in the way, I'd totally drive up there and buy the parts from you if it were reasonable (notice I didn't say affordable). I'm guessing Grohe would be in too (he's like an hour south of me, which is in the correct direction of you lol), as he's got kids and probably eventually want's a cage.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 · (Edited)

IDK where in Michigan you are, but if you DID make a kit that tucked up tight and wasn't too in the way, I'd totally drive up there and buy the parts from you if it were reasonable (notice I didn't say affordable). I'm guessing Grohe would be in too (he's like an hour south of me, which is in the correct direction of you lol), as he's got kids and probably eventually want's a cage.
Well, I'm looking at dies now, so next I'll be figuring out how much tube it will take...so chances are fair that I'll get it figured out with a little time. I already have the bender and notcher so I'm in business anyway:flipoff2:we'll see how easy it turns out. Plus, if you come up here, we can make a wheeling trip out of it and spend a day or two climbing over shit in the woods

You can put me down for a 4 door cab with a cage installed. Let me know when it's ready for pickup :flipoff2:
I bet you can find way nicer 4 door cabs in cali than i can here lol but if you find one and send it here, I'll be glad to install a cage after i get mine worked out:smokin:i bet the cost of shipping kills the deal though lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
make a couple cage kits while your at it :)

cough*
Dmanbluesfreak
Grohe
myself

Not on the current priority list, but something I definitely want to look in to in the future. BUT, I like to capitalize on opportunities. For now the kids will be booted from the truck (politely) on more technical/sketchy obstacles. Need to teach the 5 year old how to use a DSLR......

Speaking of wheeling in Michigan, where are some good spots in southern Michigan? Drummond Island past Mackinaw has peaked my interest is on the "one day I'll get there" list, but wouldn't mind checking out some parks in the near future.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 ·
Not on the current priority list, but something I definitely want to look in to in the future. BUT, I like to capitalize on opportunities. For now the kids will be booted from the truck (politely) on more technical/sketchy obstacles. Need to teach the 5 year old how to use a DSLR......

Speaking of wheeling in Michigan, where are some good spots in southern Michigan? Drummond Island past Mackinaw has peaked my interest is on the "one day I'll get there" list, but wouldn't mind checking out some parks in the near future.

Current list of Off road parks & riding areas - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Here's a thread on a local board that names a few places. As far as state trail areas, there are lots. I know of a couple near me, but nothing in southern mi. There a shit load in and near the traverse city area, mio area, and in between.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #552 ·
Went to a place called rocks +valleys for the rejects run yesterday. Wheeled all day with no issues other than a little body damage, and a broken passenger mirror. All in all a good day.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Had to winch this jk out after 3 jeeps tied to his rear bumper couldn't winch him out. I snatch blocked to him and tied my rear end to a tree. Took a bit, but i got him. He was on his frame with tires only paddling water. :laughing: was a funny sight to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
:flipoff2:... I wanna see what you smacked it on. Must have been a tree?
Lol, oh how the tables have turned! The mirror was on a tree, the rocker panels got smushed on rocks, and the driver rear rocker got smacked on a pack of tree roots during a hill climb attempt, which i did not make lol. I tried 3 or 4 times with no luck. Mud and ice pls a pull to the left at the top kept me from making it:laughing: I'll get those pics up tomorrow. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Looks like it works great, how's the trans..? You broke that jeep guys heart..lol.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
Looks like it works great, how's the trans..? You broke that jeep guys heart..lol.
Thanks, it does work well. Trans is good so far, shifts strong and smooth. Only time will tell.
I think i broke 4 jeep guys hearts, but it's ok because where you see my truck dropped the front wheels into the ice, i had to be winched out from behind by a jeep:laughing:that was vey early in the day, and the jk was dropped in right to the left of where i was stuck. Rear winch is in the works already, 2 nd battery and high amp alternator soon.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Thanks, it does work well. Trans is good so far, shifts strong and smooth. Only time will tell.
I think i broke 4 jeep guys hearts, but it's ok because where you see my truck dropped the front wheels into the ice, i had to be winched out from behind by a jeep:laughing:that was vey early in the day, and the jk was dropped in right to the left of where i was stuck. Rear winch is in the works already, 2 nd battery and high amp alternator soon.
See what alternator your truck has, usually its a 95 amp, can upgrade to a 145-150 easily. The pulleys a size off so it fits with no problem, the 150 is for the trucks/tahoe our style with all the options.

541 - 560 of 588 Posts