Pirate 4x4 banner
561 - 580 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice update.

There is a local group of mostly "overlanders" who are going to Rocks and Valley on Memorial Day weekend. Might see about checking that place out. Is that park worth the 5 hour drive?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey Rocks and Valleys is local to me! I just bought a house in the Swartz Creek area.

I planned on going to the reject run but I ending up laying tile in my bathroom insteak. :rolleyes: I'm surprised you fit down the trails. It's pretty tight and winding at Rocks and Valleys. Let's go wheeling sometime.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice update.

There is a local group of mostly "overlanders" who are going to Rocks and Valley on Memorial Day weekend. Might see about checking that place out. Is that park worth the 5 hour drive?
It's a nice park. The owner will talk to you for hours if you let him. Not that big of a park, you can easily hit it all in a day. The trails are mostly wooded, tight, and winding.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Nice update.

It is tight. I can bomb through it though, and my rig is a fat bitch :laughing:where it's real tight, there's usually a bypass. I wouldn't make a 5 hour drive just to see this park, but there are places in state land within an hour or so each direction too. Plus, there are other private parks you could hit up while in the state.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
See what alternator your truck has, usually its a 95 amp, can upgrade to a 145-150 easily. The pulleys a size off so it fits with no problem, the 150 is for the trucks/tahoe our style with all the options.
You might also consider finding a local alternator shop.

The current alternator that is in my truck started out as a 105A alternator, but he rebuilt it to a 150A alternator. I tossed a smaller pulley on it and it barely even bogs down when I'm winching. Granted, I have two batteries - but still.

I've got a 190A alternator from a topkick :grinpimp: (I believe) sitting in my spare parts bin for if this one ever bites the dust or I decide that the winch and e-fans are too much draw (hasn't been an issue yet, but haven't really done much high temp wheeling where a winch was required either).

Truck looks like it works great. You decide you need sliders, finally??? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
Hey Rocks and Valleys is local to me! I just bought a house in the Swartz Creek area.

I planned on going to the reject run but I ending up laying tile in my bathroom insteak. :rolleyes: I'm surprised you fit down the trails. It's pretty tight and winding at Rocks and Valleys. Let's go wheeling sometime.
yeah, it's tight in some spots. Lots of 3 point turns lol. I figure i can fit in 90% of the trails. My truck was a bit of a spectacle. Most of the time we were by ourselves, but through a couple trails we tagged behind groups, and there was a lot of rubber necking and picture taking:laughing:
Hit me up when you're ready to go out, and I'll see what i can pull off.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
You might also consider finding a local alternator shop.

The current alternator that is in my truck started out as a 105A alternator, but he rebuilt it to a 150A alternator. I tossed a smaller pulley on it and it barely even bogs down when I'm winching. Granted, I have two batteries - but still.

I've got a 190A alternator from a topkick :grinpimp: (I believe) sitting in my spare parts bin for if this one ever bites the dust or I decide that the winch and e-fans are too much draw (hasn't been an issue yet, but haven't really done much high temp wheeling where a winch was required either).

Truck looks like it works great. You decide you need sliders, finally??? :flipoff2:
good info, I'll look into getting it built to higher output.

Winching out the jk didn't bog the truck at all, was pulling on him for at least 3 minutes straight. 2 nd battery will be soon though, and higher amp alternator would be at the same time.
Sliders are built, just need to get it back in the garage to change out the rockers at the same time. But you know me, and my mind is ever changing:laughing:and i think I've decided that the extra cab i have is going to be a frame up build for a truggy! The fact that my frame is cracked in several spots, and 2 of the cab mounts are rusted out, I'm sure this setup isn't going to last the rest of the year. So, this puts me out of the running for UA this year:( I don't want to be that guy on the trip that ruins it for myself and others by having major breakage. That said, once my shop gets done (hopefully a week or two at most) I'm going to pull the cab in there and start on it as time allows.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
That's a bummer. Are you going to start fresh for the truggy or is the frame damage on the back half and you're just going to swap cabs and back half this truck?

Nevermind, I misread it. Full-on truggy build with the new cab. Nice!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
That's a bummer. Are you going to start fresh for the truggy or is the frame damage on the back half and you're just going to swap cabs and back half this truck?

Nevermind, I misread it. Full-on truggy build with the new cab. Nice!
Well, with the amount of work i have lined up, and the amount of work needed to get my truck UA ready, i won't be able to complete it. The decision to go truggy was fairly easy, just going to be a commitment. Will be the biggest build I've ever tried. Hoping it turns out well:laughing:this truck will donate a lot of things, like interior, shocks, rod ends, front and rear axles, and maybe drive train. Hoping a 6.0 and 6l80e are going to be going in though, plus the underdrive and np205 with 1410 drive lines will be in there. Eventually a super duty front will take the place of my current 60, and we'll see what happens with the rear. It will be an all new build, so a new thread will be started. Until then, I'm gong to enjoy beating the hell out of this thing:Dand hope nothing major goes wrong or breaks.

·
bobbing for fries
1,876 Posts
Looks like a fun trip!

Haven't had mine out in almost a year, it only goes back and forth to Home Depot now :(

Looking forward to the truggy build

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nice update.

Depends on where you are coming from and what kind of wheeling you want to do and what kind of rigs are in your group. It's good for one day for well set up rigs on 40's. 2 days for rigs on 35's. Beautiful woods but most trails can be run with 33's. There are some great hill climbs and good rock obstacles.

But if you are used to southern Ohio or Ky wheeling, you may be disappointed.

Agreed that Ron and Jeff are great guys.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Looks like a fun trip!

Haven't had mine out in almost a year, it only goes back and forth to Home Depot now :(

Looking forward to the truggy build
Thanks, it was fun. I like that place, lots to do for the day, or maybe even the weekend.

Truggy is going to be fun to build. I'm glad i have a wheeler while i build on it. Hoping to have very little down time while switching parts over.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
Depends on where you are coming from and what kind of wheeling you want to do and what kind of rigs are in your group. It's good for one day for well set up rigs on 40's. 2 days for rigs on 35's. Beautiful woods but most trails can be run with 33's. There are some great hill climbs and good rock obstacles.

But if you are used to southern Ohio or Ky wheeling, you may be disappointed.

Agreed that Ron and Jeff are great guys.
Were you there over the weekend? Would've liked to have met you.
I would think that making a day trip out of r+v then moving on to another park would make for a good weekend of wheeling. Maybe even throwing a third park in for good measure? I don't know for sure, but don't think any of the private parks in mi are vey big. I'm hoping the one in Wayne county opens one way or another.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Were you there over the weekend? Would've liked to have met you.
I would think that making a day trip out of r+v then moving on to another park would make for a good weekend of wheeling. Maybe even throwing a third park in for good measure? I don't know for sure, but don't think any of the private parks in mi are vey big. I'm hoping the one in Wayne county opens one way or another.
Nope. Had family stuff. That's why I asked what kind of rigs they have and where they are coming from. 5 hours South puts them in Indiana or Ohio and they may be better off going to the Badlands or further south. Someone close to the Badlands would be disappointed to drive 5 hours to R&V.

By the way, not Wayne County, Oakland County.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
Nope. Had family stuff. That's why I asked what kind of rigs they have and where they are coming from. 5 hours South puts them in Indiana or Ohio and they may be better off going to the Badlands or further south. Someone close to the Badlands would be disappointed to drive 5 hours to R&V.

By the way, not Wayne County, Oakland County.
I knew it wasn't sounding right when i typed that. It's been a while since i looked at the thread on gl4x4.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,231 Posts
Nice man! Truck looks awesome in the rocks. Tires seem to perform great and look monstrous for 37s.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 · (Edited)
Nice man! Truck looks awesome in the rocks. Tires seem to perform great and look monstrous for 37s.
Thanks! It was fun, but with no ultimate low, i was kind of bombing through:laughing:eek:nce i can use the underdrive (still undecided if it will even see this truck) it will be easier to crawl rock sections, well that and skid plates/ sliders would make it easier. I was very surprised to not have torched another drive shaft or anything else under there with how hard we were hitting bottom:shaking:

I wants Treps now...
They're pretty sweet imo. They just keep digging. I wish the guy taking the video through the rocks would've kept filming constantly, he missed some pretty nice climbs i made with the tires wet and snowy. I am impressed with them, though there are some bad reviews on them. They can't get traction on smooth rocks or concrete. I haven't tried them on concrete, though i will soon enough. I've had good luck so far on the stuff I've put them through. Mud, rocks and road driving all get thumbs up from me :smokin:

561 - 580 of 588 Posts