Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a searched the web for weeks with no definitive answer. I'm in the process of gathering parts for a 3-link front with panhard and a triangulated 4 link rear. On coil springs. I am going to run poly bushings at 1 end of each link and a joint at the other. I have 1.25 JJ's for the lowers . I've read that some guys run a 3/4 x 3/4 heim on their uppers but that just doesn't seem like it's strong enough. So I'm wondering if 7/8 x 3/4 chromo heims will be enough for my 3rd upper link up front and the 2 uppers in the rear? Front upper link packaging is tight.

Do I need a 1.25 heim in the front on the upper link?

Vehicle info:
95 Jeep YJ, Dana 60 HP and Sterling 10.5 with 4.88s and lockers. 38" tires (eventually 40's). Hydro assist with hi-steer. LS1 450hp to 475 HP. I would guess about 4k lbs right now.

Jeep is built already and is on leaf springs. I bent 1 set wit the 4cyl. Put the v8 in and s shaped the rear military wrap springs in 3 days of street driving. This rig gets daily driven , driven to trails that are close and trailered to the far away stuff. I am by no means a hardcore off-roader. I just want it capable and dependable.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. Thanks.

I've had a few people tell me that with my HP level the 3-link front isn't strong enough. That it needs a 4-link in front and to use 1.25 heims on the rear uppers . I'm planning on using 2" .250 wall for the lower and upper front links. In the rear the lowers will be 2" .250 wall with 1.5" .180 wall uppers. Wouldn't the 7/8 x 3/4 heims be ok for the rear uppers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For sure lower links 2" .250 wall both front and rear axle (stronger for sliding on rocks and what not). I've seen people use 1/8 wall for uppers cause normally they're tucked away from bashing so .180 is bueño. For my 3 link .250 wall 2" upper and lowers. Panhard is 1.5" .250 wall. And I'd say those heims are good size for rear uppers, it's amazing how much load heims can support, for a year I ran a hillbilly radius arm setup on a dana 44 with 2 3/4" heims at the frame end and that's it. Looking back I'd never do that again but goes to show how far those will go

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im using 2" .250 square for all lowers and front upper. I just measured again ,The square tube for rear uppers are the 1.5 with .188 wall.

My panhard kit has 1.5 .250 wall dom in it . Which is what my drag link and tie rod is made of too.

Thank you for the help..

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
7/8x7/8 heims up top is all you need. Legit mud donkeys only use that and run tons of power. Until you get into mega, or monster truck arena, 7/8 are good. I was on the 1.25 upper heim kick too... now i have 8 extra and need 7/8 because they're easier to package, especially with turbo exhaust.

This is all if your running a 4 link...3 link should still use 1.25 upper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you call Aurora Bearing company, 630.859.2030, they will tell you exactly which size to buy. I used to buy from them back in the 1990's. They will need some numbers to help them figure out what you need, but hey will be able to give you the part numbers and yada yada yada...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts