Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
you are pretty much describing what a locker acts like when it is driving one side only.
An open diff / air locker will help a bunch. I seriously doubt Ackerman would make much difference going strait down the road. My old rig would do this with a Detroit. It was really bad if one tire was lower than the other in back. New rig has arb in the back and drives like a dream with full hydro. I'd rather have a spool than a Detroit on the street for that reason.
It's not about the pressure, it's about the rolling radius. Get the thing on flat ground and measure it out. Read here: Excerpts from NoSpin/detroit locker® OWNER'S MANUAL

Mine would only dart around like that if the tire radius were mismatched from side to side.

Other things: As noted above your drag link and track bar are not parallel. You don't look like you have a ton of uptravel so I do not see why you have your drag link mounted underneath the steering arm. Flip it (get real hardware for it as well, not Nyloc nuts), and see if that helps with on-center feel. This will also help when the steering droops out so it doesn't try to over-flex the rod ends. Also get some safety washers or something for your tie-rod ends.

So what happened was the tires on the rear got chewed to hell in short order from a welded rear. The front tires are like new but one of them got a sidewall cut and got replaced at some point. So I rotated those straight back. Theyre very similar in depth, I'm not even sure which is which at this point. I'd have to measure. Didnt think it would throw that grizzly into a fit like this.

They are parallel at ride height, the picture is deceiving but even based on angle finder they are the same.

I honeslty cant recall why I mounted my panhard in the middle of the 3 holes on both panhard mounts. I had thought about dropping it and maybe raising it on the axle side and then flipping drag link to top to get matching angles.

The washers are probably a good plan, but to me the bolt heads looked bigger than the heim bodies... Not arguing there though. I have mechanical lock nuts on most of my hardware. Whats wrong with nylocs other than one time use?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
IMO alignment wont have the throttle steer.
Well I'm probably confusing but I have a couple issues. One of which is the locker shooting me into other lanes. The other is that even when I'm steady on the throttle the truck seems to over steer and dart all over the road and follow ruts etc... Which is all a recent development.

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
I might experiment with a lower tire pressure than 30, I found that my old irok radials were damn near unmanagable anywhere in the 30+lb range (like the tire shop inflated them to when I first got them mounted), but drove like a dream in the mid 20's. I never did a chalk test and your rig is definitely heavier, but it might be something to experiment with and only takes a few minutes.

Also, what brand joints do you have on the 3 link? If any of those start getting beat up or wallowed out, your front axle will start doing some wandering of it's own. Is the ride nice and quiet, or do you have clunks and clanks? (besides the grizzly)

If you have a gopro camera, I'd start getting some recordings from the frame watching the front suspension, rear suspension, steering, etc. Just so you can really see what's going on.

Another thought - could you grab a pressure fitting for your pump that hasn't been drilled out? The extra flow from your drilled pressure fitting could be adding to the twitchy feel

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
They're barnes enduro joints, which after running I wish I'd have just done 1.25 heims but oh well... they're pretty tight but I will have to double check with a pry bar or something to make sure there is no slop. There are no pops or clunks.

The go pro is a good idea.

I'll try the tire pressure too.

The pump idea is a good one too. I'll have to check the parts yards and see if I can't come up with something. I kind of assumed I needed to mod the pump for the hydro so who knows what it would have been like without... hmm.

Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Couple things I'd check. Jack the front wheels off the ground. Remove the tie rod and drag link. Make sure both knuckles turn smoothly. I've actually had a binding axle ujoint cause the problem your descibing.
You also said you used a surplus ram. I've seen bent rams cause the same problems.
As for the locker, air the tires to whatever pressure you want to run, then with a good eye and ruler, (large framing square works good for this) take a measurement from the ground to the top of the RIM. Adjust air pressure till measurement is exactly the same.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My Detroit pushes my rig around when letting off the throttle. Its a fact of life with those types of lockers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Couple things I'd check. Jack the front wheels off the ground. Remove the tie rod and drag link. Make sure both knuckles turn smoothly. I've actually had a binding axle ujoint cause the problem your descibing.
You also said you used a surplus ram. I've seen bent rams cause the same problems.
As for the locker, air the tires to whatever pressure you want to run, then with a good eye and ruler, (large framing square works good for this) take a measurement from the ground to the top of the RIM. Adjust air pressure till measurement is exactly the same.
Sorry, forgot to add that the ground to top of rim measurement needs to be exactly the same on both rear wheels.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will definitely check into all of this soon. I am moving soon or I'd work on it sooner and report back. I really appreciate all the help guys.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts