What do you think?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
quite sexy but we need more than drive way shots :mad3:

·
whatever
1,500 Posts
nice design...how about a pic of the frame crossmember, would like to see how it hangs...

·
Registered
9 Posts
quality piece of work and it looks like ya can get the diff out without stripping the whole front axle out unlike my safari gard piece of shit.
Ian

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
quality piece of work and it looks like ya can get the diff out without stripping the whole front axle out unlike my safari gard piece of shit.
Ian
Can we puhleeze get through one friggin' 3-link post without bashing SG!?

You SG hatters are a bunch of pussies...

Yea, you heard me.

--D

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thats looks sweet mate!
I think you should send me a full kit so I can do some testing :D

What material is the cross memeber? I noticed you positioned the brace further rearward to clear the driveshaft yeah?

p.s. also got any shots of the upper links and brackets?

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Thats looks sweet mate!
I think you should send me a full kit so I can do some testing :D
If you need a tester in this hemisphere, I'm here, Ooh! Ooh! Pick me, pick me, I'll try to break it:flipoff2:

Cheers,
PT

(drawings would be as cool as finished parts, but finished parts would get assembled sooner:D)

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Looks good, need more pics though, interested in the other links and how clean the travel is going to be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you all for reply!!

At the moment I don't have time to take flex shot on natural tracks so I have only taked these in my workshop:

I have 10" travel shocks.

The main crossmember hangs on 8 existing holes on the chassis:

And here you can see the arms:

All parts are made with common steel...what material do you suggest to use???

·
Registered
11 Posts
May I ask:
How much vertical separation do you have?
I would prefer less cutouts on the middle mont and a little more material under the trackrod-hole.
For Material I would suggest QStE 690 if you like to build light and strong.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have about 8/10 cm of vertical separation between weld brackets on axle and engine floor (TD5) at full compression. Under the trackrod-hole I have welded another bracket (6mm thick) to get it more strong. I also re-designed another version of it with an 8 mm bracket under the trackrod-hole for the others I will build.

I try to find the right compromise between resistance and ground clearance...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Do you have any better photos or drawings of the outer links mounting to the axle?

As for material, I design almost everything for mild-steel. To be able to use the strength of a harder material your parts have to flex a long way. Usually by the time a part is stiff enough, it is also more than strong enough when made from mild steel.
Mild steel (plain carbon steel) is just a stiff as higher strength and higher price steels and weldability is never a concern.

What were the purpose of all the cutouts in the centre brackets?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can take more detailed photos of it soon...

The purpose of cutouts are only to make it light and for estetical reasons...(if you look there is "G" of "Garrett" :D:D:D)

·
Registered
11,483 Posts
I have about 8/10 cm of vertical separation between weld brackets on axle and engine floor (TD5) at full compression. Under the trackrod-hole I have welded another bracket (6mm thick) to get it more strong. I also re-designed another version of it with an 8 mm bracket under the trackrod-hole for the others I will build.

I try to find the right compromise between resistance and ground clearance...
If you don't mind, can you tell us what your separation is between the bolts on the upper links and the bolt on the lower central link on your axle end (vertical). I think that is what he was trying to ask. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ah ok, I didn't understand...the vertical separation between the bolts on upper link mount and central link is about 15,4 cm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts