Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok - its time to do the rear susp. on my truggy project - i was going to go with a 3 link - with 4 foot long lower arms and a 3 foot upper wishbone - i cant afford coil overs so i was thinking 2.5 EB superflex coils - but i noticed everyone is going with the 4 link - is the flex better ? travel ?

also is 1 1/4 heims overkill for this ? all the links are going to be 2" DOM .250 - i just bought 20' of the DOM and was going to start mock up tomorrow - any sugestions

its a 78 150 with 44s - pics are on here - will post some more soon - :flipoff2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
You won't know the difference behind the wheel. I say build whatever id easier for you. If it's a 3-link I would use a 1.25" heim at the top of the rear axle and bushings at the front of the upper link. The lowers depend on where you're mounting the coil-overs or coils. If they're going to be on the axle then I think anything over 3/4" would probably be fine for your application. If the coil-over or coils are on the lower link then would use 1.25" at the axle and large bushings up front.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
---

I was going to use poly bushings on the upper wishbone and a 1.25 heim with some misalignment spacers - lower links were going to have 1.25 at the axle and some polys at the frame - is this a good idea ? or should the lower links have heims at both ends ? the coils will be on the axle / truss :smokin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the coils are going to be on the axle then I think a 1.25" heim on the lower link is overkill. Otherwise your plans sound good to me.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
"There is no kill like overkill". i would use the 1.25" heims because u are already using 1/4" wall DOM with 44's. If my rig made more the 50hp with 36's that wieghs less the 3200lbs, i would have used bigger the 3/4" x3/4" hiems. biuld sounds great! 4 link or wishbone 3 link acts the same to me. i could not tell a differance. good luck!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
From what I have heard a well built 3 link is just as good as a 4 and I think the current issue of Crawl Mag has a EB with a 3 link in it.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so 3 link it is

- should the lower arms have heims at both ends ? i was oing to put polys up front and heims in back - will this flex ok ??:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hiems don't do much at all to cushion hits. You will here and feel more. The poly bushings will cushion the hits some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts