Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about installing some shackles on the front of my rear leaf springs (so they are on the front and back)
and continue to use the ladder bar with a goofy leaf i have to control axle wrap.........

my idea/thought is to us only 2 more control links to locate the axle forward/back and side to side..........(and keep them clear of the leaf springs and ladder bar...

i know some are thinking just go 4-link and get it over with,
i just want to try something alittle different...........and continue to use the ladder bar i built......

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
61,972 Posts
Buddy of mine ran something like that for a whole on his Jeep - works ok, but a lot of work and you still have the leaf springs hanging there in the way. That is why most people consider it a waste of time/effort - you don't get the other benefits of coils or 1/4 eliptical as far as clearance and room.

No promises, but let me see if I can dig up some pictures of his Jeep on my web site burried away :)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
If I remember correctly, Randy Ellis ran this set up on his CJ when he was in top truck. No triangulation on the links, guess the shackles and springs did the side to side location. From the pics I remember, it flexed good, but I imagine the handling was sloppy to say the least when on road. If your going to add links and shackles then the ladder bar you built will most likely end up on the scrap heap.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
3/4tonYJ said:

i know some are thinking just go 4-link and get it over with,
i just want to try something alittle different...........
I do believe you just answered your own question. Do your self a favor. Don't try and reinvent the wheel here. If it was worth the time to do, don't you think everyone would run it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.