Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 phase shop equipment question...

Hey, any of you all running any three pahse shop equipment off 220 single phase with a rotary phase converter? Any one have any luck running a 3 phase welder? I just bought a huge 3 phase DC Welder from surplus inventory where I work. Just wondering if I built a big enough rotary 3 phase converter if I am going to be able to get it to run or if I should just look into selling it.

Let me know :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize that a solid state one will probably not work, but I am thinking I will be able to pick up a 10-15hp 3 phase motor for the rotary converter. From all of the research I have done on the net this should be sufficient to run the 20amps per leg that the welder will require. W/ a m/g set 3 phase actually generated or is it still the 220 single phase but just time aligned differently... I am not sure if I am asking this correctly, because I am not an electrition, but I am try to get an idea what wire size and disconnect I am going to have to run to the shop. The welder is 220 3 phase 58 amps. Am I correct in my thinking in that the phase converter is actually generateing a third of my power? I realize I am a little off topic and I appologize, but this should be some good info for lots of people since you can get used 3 phase shop equipment for very reasonable prices. Thanks again!

Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts