Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive dissembled quite a few 3 piece wheels before, and never had an issue getting the tire to separate from the outer flange. They usually just slide right off, or come apart after some gentle prying.
This tire is probably 20 years old and will not separate from the outer flange.
Ive tried pry bars, setting the inside of the flange on a block of wood and hitting it with a bead breaker, hosed it with penetrating oil and let it sit all weekend, and finally tried to use the excavator to pry it off while holding it with the skid steer.
Nothing seems to be working.
Any tips before I try to find a way to cut it off the flange without messing the flange up?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ring just slides all the way to the inner bead, so the inner and outer beads hit each other on the wheel.
I have another 24" wheel that I might try to dig up and try sliding it on to see if it does the same thing.
Stupid rim design, however the other 5 from this thing all came apart without issue, so who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
That press grabs a hold of the ring and won’t let it slide back and rim. It then pushes the bead away from ring. I had it were I had to do it in 5-6 places squirting pb blaster type oil in the gap the press makes before it breaks loose.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That press grabs a hold of the ring and won’t let it slide back and rim. It then pushes the bead away from ring. I had it were I had to do it in 5-6 places squirting pb blaster type oil in the gap the press makes before it breaks loose.
Ah, I see now. Ill order one to have it for the next time, I need to get this POS back up and running to go grade some roads this week.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Ah, I see now. Ill order one to have it for the next time, I need to get this POS back up and running to go grade some roads this week.
Put tire back and pay the $50 and watch the tire shop do it.

When you use that press you need to have locking ring on or it pulls off the rim. That was random link do your research before buying.

I hate 3 piece rims. They suck compared to the 5 piece rims. My grader had super old tires on it also so I said fuck it and had the tire shop change them.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put tire back and pay the $50 and watch the tire shop do it.

When you use that press you need to have locking ring on or it pulls off the rim. That was random link do your research before buying.

I hate 3 piece rims. They suck compared to the 5 piece rims. My grader had super old tires on it also so I said fuck it and had the tire shop change them.
The other 5 went without issue, I used the blade to pop the inner beads off that were stuck. This last one is fighting me hard. Ive destroyed the tire sidewall so I'm committed now.
Ill give it 1 more shot then take it to the tire shop tomorrow.

·
I'm not your buddeh
13,072 Posts
1/8th lb of tannerite aughtta do it

·
Registered
689 Posts
More lube?

I've had good success using an engine hoist and a dead blow hammer. Put the tire under the hoist legs and pull using the hoist arm.

It looks like you have equipment and way more force applied.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Try brake fluid. It will break down the tire.
the whole reason we're stuck with glycol ether brake fluid now is that it was once chosen because it was gentler to rubber brake hoses than normal petroleum oils
so, nope, BS bud

use fire, enough to get it smoking and the ring'll fall right off

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
Yup. Hell I don't think you'd even have to put it back on the rim. Wouldn't it clamp onto just the bead ring and push the tire off? Looks to me like it has enough depth to the ring that it'd have enough to clamp onto.

EDIT. Those hydraulic bead breakers are worth their weight in gold when you start doing equipment tires...

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Yup. Hell I don't think you'd even have to put it back on the rim. Wouldn't it clamp onto just the bead ring and push the tire off? Looks to me like it has enough depth to the ring that it'd have enough to clamp onto.

EDIT. Those hydraulic bead breakers are worth their weight in gold when you start doing equipment tires...
You need to put it back on rim. It needs something to grab onto. Just not enough meat there with the ring by it self.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I would stick the mini-ex bucket on it like pictured then I would get an 8" scrap of 2x4, stick that under the rim (to protect it) right by the bucket then I'd stick a bottle jack under that and start pumping.

Even if it doesn't come off all the way around you can still take an angle grinder to the bead in the one place it does come off.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
What was wrong with that tire?

For stubborn beads I've got a section of railroad rain I cut at an angle at one end to go between the bead and the rim. Then I carefully drive whatever I have that's heavy up the rail. Never failed me yet. You just need more force than the mini-ex and bobcat can provide. A dump truck with 10 yards of sand works well. If I had a locomotive laying around, that would work even better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts