Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's my first post, hope you enjoy it.

so, to make a unique exo cage, one needs a unique tool. since i don't want to spend 1200 + dollars on a 3 roll bender, i decided to build one

we looked at what was on the market, 1100 plus shipping and exchange.

but they make nice long radius bends

Me and Lane sat down one night and came up with a CAD drawing, we sourced out a water jet, and this is what came out of it

steel shmeel, this is what i have, it may not look like much but hopefully after tonight we will have machined some roller dies from it. This material is available from Johnston industrial plastics, it's called nylatron GSM, a moly impregnated nylon which is super dense, self lubricating (not wet though) and wear resistant. the guy on the phone said i may not need a bushing for the thru bolt, although i will use bearings. a set of steel dies 400+ canadian, 1 foot of 4" dia. nylatron 60 bucks. here are some links
RADIUS CALCULATOR
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/rad2.cgi?submit=Entry

NYLATRON SPECS
http://www.jmjprofile.com/PlasticMaterialSpecs2.htm#nylatronSpecs

Johnston Plastics
http://www.johnstonplastics.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
we cut a piece with a perfect .750 inch radius, then i ground a relief and filed the edges sharp

i first cut my depth and width and ruf cut with a small tool, after the basic shape was attained, i used the cutter we had made to get the radius just right.

then parted the individual roller, they will be faced to width and fitted with bearings

bearings set in place on the bottom rollers, the other upper roller will have a key way broached, will use a 7/8 inch keyed shaft and the bearings will be set in the top roller assembly

starting to look like a bender, just have to make the top assembly and cut some tube for seperators.
If your wondering what the 2 large nuts are for, 1 will be welded to the top end of the threaded rod the other at the end of the keyed shaft, this will be so i can use the same handle for each action

back from my parents place in scotia, while there i had a chance to do some machine work for roll bender top assembly.

using a boring bar i enlarged the center hole to .875 so i can fit a 7/8 keyed shaft through it.

broached a key way

i used the band saw to rough cut the 2 top pieces slightly larger than 4.5" x 4.0", each plate is 1" thich. one of these will be mounted solid to very top of the bender and will be threaded, the other will be part of the top roller assembly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i milled the pieces down to 4.5" x 4.0"

one of the plates were drilled so the threaded rod could pass through

i cut the sides of the assembly in the same fashion as above, then placed them in a 4 jaw chuck so i could bore holes to fit bearings in them

used a boring bar to get the holes to 1.995" so the bearing will have an interference fit, the bearings are 2.000"

pressed the bearings in

just need to take these parts and put them together with the side plates

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
3,444 Posts
In! thanks.

Seriously...when will you have these for sale?:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Very nice work on the roller, but that rear tube work is god awfull! :barf:
X2 :laughing:

rolled bends are good if you can incorporate them without drawing attention to them... BTF's KOH rig, Zukizzy's rig, Rockbug all come to mind....

remember, less is more. :grinpimp:

awesome roll bender, it gives me ideas! I just dont like rolled tube enough to make one. :homer:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Great first posts. I have a few questions. What is the tubing that you are bending, how much have you rolled so far, how are the dies holding up, and are you willing to share the cad drawings that you used for the side plates? Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great first posts. I have a few questions. What is the tubing that you are bending, how much have you rolled so far, how are the dies holding up, and are you willing to share the cad drawings that you used for the side plates? Thanks.
1.5" x .120" hrew, what you see in the pic is what i have done so far. the dies are holding up fine, i'll see about the drawings... talk to ya later

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

rolled bends are good if you can incorporate them without drawing attention to them... BTF's KOH rig, Zukizzy's rig, Rockbug all come to mind....

awesome roll bender, it gives me ideas! I just dont like rolled tube enough to make one. :homer:
Once it is done it'll look good - it's hard to see the completed project at this stage. Besides - if we all had rigs that looked the same, wheeling would be pretty lame :flipoff2:

I will say this - his roll bender works really well. It pulls the tubing through like butter, and rolls it with ease.

·
Registered
420 Posts

who are you :shaking: i have'nt seen anything you have built :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 124 Posts