Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '89 w/3.0 drank a big gulp of bayou water and locked-up. I winched out pulled plugs, and tried to spin it over....nothing but a click/clack. thought the starter was gone, so I got it rolling and eased out on the clutch in 3rd. Skidded the swampers...not good. Tried the key agin, it spun over blew out swamp juice and locked-up again. Any ideas? I just put 4:88s, lockers, rebuilt the shafts, 34" Swampers, cut and rolled the fenders, beat the wheel wells, etc....Should have put a snorkel.:(

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
probibly bent acouple conecting rods or the crank. None of your other upgrades would cause your problem after it sucking water. Too bad you did some good upgrades to a truck that needed its motor upgraded before anything else.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
Time for a Rebuild!!!

Do seriously consider the 3.4 swap if you plan on keeping the truck for any reasonable length of time. Also, probably plan on getting the 3.4 rebuilt before you put it in so that you don't have to do it twice

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I hydro-locked my old 91 once upon a time, it was at idle and it immediately died. I got towed out, pulled the plugs, cranked it over a few times til there was no more water jets from the engine. Installed new plugs and air filter and she was good to go. I changed the oil a few days later, just to be safe, didn't really see any water. She's still running today, sold her to a friend about a year after that. This was about 60k ago. Doesn't sound like you are as lucky as I was. :(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Id say it needs a rebuild.

Did the same thing couple years back. Sucked a little water and blew the HG. Then over heated it getting it to the trail head so AAA could tow me home.

·
Toyota Dismantlation
4,005 Posts
Did it in a 96 ranger 4.0, pulled plugs, turned it over 15 seconds at a time sounded alright ran like shit the first 10 minutes as I was using some marvel mystery oil in through the brake booster drove it home changed every fluid ran stronger after that
Id say it needs a rebuild.

Did the same thing couple years back. Sucked a little water and blew the HG. Then over heated it getting it to the trail head so AAA could tow me home.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, No quick fix here.....gonna pull the motor and see what's up. Any good threads on a 3.4 swap? How difficult is it? wil it bolt up to my 5 speed? My wheelin buddy tells me it's a project. No cake walk/ weekend upgrade.....He said whatever I pay for the motor be prepared to spend that again in nick nack B.S. that'll slow down the project.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I just pulled a great running 3.0 out of a 95' 4Runner 5 speed because I swapped a 3.4 into it. I would give it to you if you can pick it up. I just moved it outside a few weeks ago and it has no oil pan on it (used it on my 3.4).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow thanks.Maine quite a drive! How hard wasthe swap?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Swaps not to difficult if you can problem solve fairly well. mainly the only thing you will have to worry about is the cross over exhaust and the new motor mounts.
Go to the toyota bible 2.0 and look at the swap thread. there will be detailed instructions on how to wire it in. its a 2-3 day swap. and you will need to use a few things off the 3.0.
Dont get me wrong im sure there is someone on this form that can do it in 1-2 days.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
2-3 days if you already have EVERY swap part ready to go, using a pre 99' truck, and going 5 spd to 5 spd, and are an ace at welding/fabbing/wiring. Unless you are a pro shop with a few guys doing it that have done it before, 2-3 daya would be possible. Anything fastee than that I would imagine many things are hacked together and not factory quality.

3.0 to 3.4 is a very easy swap to get the engine bolted in but can be pretty involved when it comes to wiring and exhaust placement. I am cramming to get mine done before February but mine was also a frame off rebuild and interior redo. Slightly more involved.

If you are a rook at doing the above, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a pre 99 5 spd engine Federal spec if possibled as a donor and using a yotaonlyswaps crossover pipe. New motor mounts not required. Use the 3.0 engine brackets. My 95' 3.0 required some grinding to clear the 01' 3.4 A/C bracket.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. Seems like my Yota Guru buddy was right! oh and Pietro,how much will you charge me to put that motor on a pallet for shippng?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts