Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone got one? I am thinking this will be my next build and replace my .223 upper. Found a ton of vague info on quaterbore, arfcom, ect but i need someone to spell this out for my dumbass.

Can i replace my .223 barrel with this
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=380

and run an adjustable gas tube and get decent results on both sub-sonic and super-sonic loads??

Can i retain my old bolt and BCG? I have pulled my .223 barrel off to put a free float rail on, so i am not too worried about that, but should i take it to have the headspace checked after i install the new barrel?? Or should i just buy a complete upper?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see everyone going over to that round, but can't find why its any better other than manufactured ammo. There is a thread or two here but again, pretty vague.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I see everyone going over to that round, but can't find why its any better other than manufactured ammo. There is a thread or two here but again, pretty vague.
It's almost an identical round to the whisper, but with a SAAMI spec and Remington backing it.

·
Surgical Shotgunner
15,752 Posts
got a close friend building a 300 whisper. ill pick his brain about it tomorrow and report back. if you havent heard from me, call the police, or send a PM. :laughing: the latter will be better probably!!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
The model 1 barrel sucks. The throat is way to tight. Most guys on quarterbore are taking a. 308 throating reamer to them. Mine is getting sent to a guy from silencertalk to get rechambered in 300 blackout. If I had it to do over again i'd probably order one from black hole weaponry. Cheap and I've been reading good things about them.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
To answer the rest of your questions. Yes you can just replace the barrel. Factory bolt and mags are what the round was designed for. I made my own adjustable gas block by drilling and taping inline with the gas tube then inserting a set screw. It looks like the one sold by JP. Headspace is pre set on ar's. Torque the barrel nut and it should be good. Mine with a pistol length gas system cycles super and subsonic rounds. Until every fifth or so round refuses to chamber from the tight throat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw where the black hole barrels were 1x11 twist. Everything i have read says 1x8 at the most

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I didn't notice that. Yeah 1/8 is what you want for subsonic. The pistol length gas system also helps especially if you ever want to go SBR. Silencertalk.com has some good info because the guy that runs the site works for AAC. People are recommending Delta Company Arms for $239.

Concerning 300 blackout vs whisper. The Whisper as designed by J.D Jones was designed to used 221 brass necked up to 30 cal. This causes the throat to be to tight to chamber rounds made from cut down 223 brass. Some companies selling 300 fireball made modifications to allow for a larger throat, some didn't. Because the round isn't standardized you have no idea what type of barrel you'll get when ordering a 300 fireball, 300/221, 30/221 or what ever other names. For me being able to used dinged up throw away 223 was a huge plus. I even cut down and reloaded a few blanks just to see if it would work. Neck turning to use the model 1 chamber was just too time consuming for a rifle that shoots 2" at 100 yards. Thats why I'm having mine rechambered to the larger throat 300 blackout. The 300 blackout will shoot blackout or whisper, but some whisper chambers are to tight to shoot the blackout round.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did see that thread over there on silencer talk. I guess i will adjust my build plan to 300 blackout. Plus i see midwayusa carries remmy 300 blackout at half the price than 300 whisper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts