Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they make direct swap kits to put a 350 in an s-10 but does anyone make a kit to bolt a 302 or 351 into the ford ranger???

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Not sure if there's a kit but James Duff and Advance Adapters should have most if not all of the swap parts necessary to complete the job.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
L&L Products has a direct bolt in kit for the 302, me i just picked up a HO302 And A T5 top loader 5 spd manual im just gonna fab up and replace my built 2.9

·
Registered
1,338 Posts

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
It's all bolt in with factory parts except for the oil filter relocation..

·
FoMoCo MoFo
4,580 Posts
Please elaborate.
Well, you can use fox mustang motor mounts, Just drill two new holes in the crossmember:

Or you can make flat plates that bolt to the stock V6 mounts:

If you run a C4 auto, you can use the C5 output shaft/tail housing to retain the stock transfer case, or use the whole C5 from an 83/84 with a C4 V8 bell and it bolts in. If you also get the C5 donor rigs drive shafts you can then run your stock diffs. I ran that for a year... I used the stock C5 shifter.

(put a V8 C4 valve body and servo into the C5 so you don't burn it up...)

For a carb, the stock 2.8L truck throttle cable works great. For an FI rig, a fox mustang cable swaps right in.

If you used an explorer accessory setup, you could probably even get away with using a 4.0 radiator in the stock location/ It will clear a standard pump but about 1/2" depending on how far back you set the motor:

Stock explorer V8 manifolds fit great:

Fox mustang and Crown vic (what I used) accessories fit well, and let you reuse your stock A/C comp. alternator, and PS pump.

The only real "fab" you have to do for the swap is to notch the heater box to clear the valve cover, and drill holes for motor mounts. Maybe cut the core support to move the rad forward or clear a larger rad.

It doesn't take a whole lot of fab, nor a swap kit if you plan it out using the right combo of factory parts. Of course, it varies by everyone's rig depending on what trans, rad, t-case, and exhaust you choose...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Now that's some elaboration right there. Good stuff Totalled, best tech I've seen on the subject so far. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you checked out therangerstation.com. It is full of tons of info on the swap. I just finished looking for the rest of the parts to do my swap. '85 mustang 5.0 into an '84 BII 4x4. The kits they sell are F'n expensive, $1200. From all of the info I have gathered it is a fairly simple swap if you can round up all of your parts. I found a running 5.0 (complete with harness), M5od, BW 1356, D44 front, D60 rear, all of my leafs, radiator and electirc fan all for $400 bucks. If you spend some time lookin around you will save yourself alot of money. The only thing that I am buying is the oil filter relocater kit. I am going to try and fab up the engine mounts, I hear they are not that difficult to do. I have also heard that you can use the one out of late '80's convertible 'stangs, but haven't tried it. I am going to try and get my swap under way by the end of the month, I will take some pics and put together a thread.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
x2 on the all factory parts follow his little write up an it can be done cheap dont waste time or money on swap companies. ive done half dozen that same way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
its even possible to jam a 351W and a C6 in them.. i've done it..used fullsize bronco motor mounts, but pushed the motor to the passenger side, made a spacer for the drivers motor mount, and used a dodge oil filter on it so didn't have to relocate the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Any Pics Of Said 351 And C6?

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Thats Awesome Looks Like Ur Missin Ur Heater Cover. Im Havin A Hell Of A Time Tryin To Swap In The Tod Loader 5spd With Mine

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you delete the air conditioning can the heater cover be left off or blocked off on the right side?

·
Registered
236 Posts
i Took the A/c crap stuff off, and made a plate to cover the hole in the firewall, but welded a peice of 2 inch pipe to the top part of it to hook a hose from that to where the blower motor is. had to make a plate with a pipe in it for the blower motor side too. basically i ripped all the plastic off that i thought might get in my way. sorry though i can't get pictures of that. The guy i did the swap for already picked it up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts