Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just bought a '75 CJ5 with the 304 and we towed it to my house today and started tuning it up. I noticed that there wasn't a vacuum line connected to the distributor. The distributor has a nipple where a vacuum line would go. Is there supost to be a vacuum line there? If so, where does it go (manifold vacuum or ported carbuator vacuum)? We are having a hard time getting the thing to run without backfiring. I put a known good carb on since the old one looked like it's been "modified" For what it's worth, the 304 has an Edelborck intake and had the stock 4 barrel carb. I put my holly on to see if we could just get it to run w/o backfiring but no luck. I think it is something w/ the distributor. It idles OK but backfires under load (mostly through the carb).

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

·
Registered
170 Posts
check distributor gear, that can be used too much.

Both Cam & distr. can be change, available separatly

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Balsax said:
My friend just bought a '75 CJ5 with the 304 and we towed it to my house today and started tuning it up. I noticed that there wasn't a vacuum line connected to the distributor. The distributor has a nipple where a vacuum line would go. Is there supost to be a vacuum line there? If so, where does it go (manifold vacuum or ported carbuator vacuum)? We are having a hard time getting the thing to run without backfiring. I put a known good carb on since the old one looked like it's been "modified" For what it's worth, the 304 has an Edelborck intake and had the stock 4 barrel carb. I put my holly on to see if we could just get it to run w/o backfiring but no luck. I think it is something w/ the distributor. It idles OK but backfires under load (mostly through the carb).

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Vac line goes from the dist to one of the lower ports on the carb.
Backfire through carb under load, could be, but most likely isn't, advance related.
Hook up the vac advance line. Plug all ports on the intake and carb that are not hooked up to something. Check timing. If it still fires through carb it may be running too lean. Check accelerator pump. Check for a vac leak using a short piece of hose (hold it up to your ear and point it in different places and see if you hear the air being sucked in).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eDaddi said:
what size carb are you trying to run on it?
we tried both the stock 4bbl and the holly which is 650cfm. The holly was from a 350 and ran well. Both carbs seem to run the same on this motor. thanks for the replys...I'm going to dick with it some more soon.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, found the main problem...There were two spark plug wires that were switched around :shaking: . Yeah, I know..I should have checked the easy stuff but live and learn! You have to love buying a car from someone that thought they knew what they were doing. It still needs some tweaking but it's running well enough top drive. At least the guy didvn't mess with the brakes or steering!

Thanks for the replays
:beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts