Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 4-barrel intake & carb for my 304. Haven't seen many around in Scouts, mostly the standard 2-barrel Holly. My two barrel has always ran rich...even after rebuilding. I've noticed the 4-barrels more often on the 345 & 392 engines, just not on the 304. Any info?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I put an adapter on my 304, cause I had tons of probs with the stocker. . Yeah its overkill a 600 on a 304, but I havent had any probs with it....

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
umm... what Old Scout said.

NO factory 4-barrel manifolds for 304's... there has been rumors that some *may* have been built, but none are know to exist.

One of the Scout Venders (I belive it was the no departed G.U.S.) *used* to make some... involved milling and some custom inserts and spacers... and I have never heard of them working all that well...

Run the 2bbl (or a better 2bbl), or so with the adaper. not the best, but people report good results.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
I've never had the opportunity to compare manifolds, so I'll just ask. How much wider is a 345/392 manifold than a 304? Could it be possible to machine the former down to fit the latter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I swapped from a 4V to a 2V on a built 392 and could tell little performance difference, but noticed better economy. Don't cheap out; buy a 350cfm. 2-barrel from Summit, jet it correctly, and you'll be quite happy. The adapters that allow you to run a 4-V on a 2V intake are the absolute worst thing you could do for a slow-revving IH engine

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I should post up that dead horse picture again!!

This one has been covered on the BB about once a month for at least the past 4-5 years..... :D

Unless your racing your IH or have made some serious internal upgrades you won't really need a 4bbl carb on a 304 - heck most people only run a 350 cfm 2 bbl. Everyone I have heard from that buys the 500cfm 2bbl ends up kicking themselves and would rather have a well tuned 350cfm (exluding the racer guys).

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
ON TONTO....YEAHHHH!!! (riding dead horse!)

I have the 500 Holley carb. Other than the 50cc accel pump being a little on the heavy side, now that it is tuned lean, and I have the floats where I want them, I have had no real complaints.

I had another 500 before this one that was involved in a fire! It was right out of the box a little too rich...

I have noticed (obvious, engines 101 class) that with the 500 exhaust changes will either make or brake this carb running well. I am soon going from dual out glass packs to a 2 into 1 Flowmaster 70 series.

we will see what jetting changes I will have to make....

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
"They don't exist"

and "They're not necessary" :)

I bought someone's attempt at a 304-4bbl a while back.. if it's not still being used as a door-stop, I'll make you a great deal on it..

Still working on having one built.

Reality is, most 304s have no need for a 4bbl, or even a 500cfm 2bbl.

I picked up a thousand or so RPM when I went from my 350cfm 2bbl to a 500cfm 2bbl, but I was still limited to about 5300rpm. This, on a 10.25:1 lightened, balanced, ported, open headered, etc. race engine.

I swapped to a 600cfm square-bore and a 4-2 adapter over the winter (since the true 4bbl intake wasn't ready yet).

Still about 5300rpm. I'm hoping it's the intake that's limiting the air-flow. I'll find out one way or the other I guess..

Might be I'm not running enough cam.. :evil:

The 500 didn't idle very well, and "off-idle" response wasn't great, either.. but that's OK. I run a high-stall converter, and it's almost always WFO on the skinny pedal anyhow.

Worked well for that.

I recently put the 500 2bbl on Michelle's stock (tired) 304 in her 800.. it runs, but not very well. I just didn't have a 350cfm lying around to put on it, and the Motorcraft carb decided it was time to go on strike.

I run a 350cfm 2bbl on the 345 in my tow-rig.. works great there, too. 14,000lbs.. 9.5mpg.. 60-65mph..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
almost seems better to have a 345.....lots more part options and intake flexibility Just my 0.02

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
SnowScoutII said:
almost seems better to have a 345.....lots more part options and intake flexibility Just my 0.02
Yeah, but then you have the heavier recip. assembly and longer stroke.. the 304 is lighter and "snappier" (which is DEFINITELY a very relative term).

And most 345s don't really NEED a 4bbl either.. ;) They're big slow revving dump truck mills..

Plus, 304s are cheap thanks to the "345s have more options and..." argument. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been told (by the local Scout junkyard guy) that the 304 had a 4 bbl "option" on the later models (79-80) However, he could be wrong and most likely is!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
boy that 4 to 2 adapter sure lookes like a great way to over carb an eng. nothing like killing port volocity in an effort to make torque:flipoff2:

some people just need to go back to freshman year shop class...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts