Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am right in the middle of rebuilding my 74 304. i pulled the pistons out a they are aluminum alloy, not the cast as i expected so it means some one has replaced them with aftermarket. the engine was not bored over from the factory, indicated on the engine code. now i wonder if the cylinders have been bored over by whoever replaced the pistons. the top of the pistons have L2360 030 stamped on top and the underside has 342-99 and a tringle with a "t" in it. does anyone know how to identify the manufacturer of this piston?? any help would be appreciated.

dave

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: drveede ]

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Its been a really long time but if I remeber (this off the top of my head remeber) I belive the piston numbers indicate it been oversized .30 over.

As far a manufactor, Who knows

·
Registered
825 Posts
From the numbers I would guess you are looking at a .030 over motor to start with.

All pistons should be aluminium, either cast, hyperutectic or forged.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AS FAR AS THE MANUFACTURER OF THE PISTONS-NOT SURE, BUT TAKE ONE TO YOUR LOCAL PREFORMANCE SHOP MAYBE THEY CAN HELP YOU.
I WOULD AGREE W/IT BEING .030

TILL NEXT TIME-

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i called summit and they said it was an old trw part #. and that it was 030 over. but i can't get them any more.

one more question, did the 304 have sleaves in the cylinders, mine does and someone else said they didn't think that was common. they said it was usually only done to fix a damaged cylinder wall.

dave

[ 10-15-2001: Message edited by: drveede ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts