Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
search, right?

well, i did.... and found a lot of info, just not the one little piece i need....

a friend and i are building a cj7 for someone else. i'm doing the suspension, tubes, x-members, etc., he's doing the motor/tranny/t-case work.

he needs to know where to put the motor mounts so that the distributor doesn't hit the firewall (because the owner is a stickler about not messing with the body) and make sure that there is still plenty of room for pulleys, fan and radiator, etc.

chevy 350 + ford T-18 + D300

thanks for any help.

and i may have more questions later, not used to working on jeeps....:p

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but that kinda mock-up requires 2 guys holding the body over the chassis and one guy looking to see what's hitting and whatnot. i guess we could put the body on the frame and hang the engine in the bay. that seems like a better idea. the reason, i guess, is because the body is already off and we need the motor/tranny/t-case combo mounted before i can start my half.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can speak with some authority on this issue because I have had to solve this same problem myself, albeit with a slightly different configuration. I installed a 350, 465 and D300 combo into an 85 CJ7 and wanted to keep my Mallory unlite distributor out of my firewall sheet metal.

After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided to weld my motor mounts FAR ENOUGH FORWARD SO MY DISTRIBUTOR DIDN'T HIT THE FIREWALL.:flipoff2: When I did it, I lowered the small block into the hole under the hood, got everything to clear and eyeballed where the mounts needed to be with a grease pencil.

If I recall the motor is centered left to right and the only issue I later had was having to notch the driver side mount to clear my stock iron exhaust manifolds.

Oooohhhh, I just felt a Hardcore chill go up my spine.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can speak with some authority on this issue because I have had to solve this same problem myself, albeit with a slightly different configuration. I installed a 350, 465 and D300 combo into an 85 CJ7 and wanted to keep my Mallory unlite distributor out of my firewall sheet metal.

After much hemming and hawing, I finally decided to weld my motor mounts FAR ENOUGH FORWARD SO MY DISTRIBUTOR DIDN'T HIT THE FIREWALL.:flipoff2: When I did it, I lowered the small block into the hole under the hood, got everything to clear and eyeballed where the mounts needed to be with a grease pencil.

If I recall the motor is centered left to right and the only issue I later had was having to notch the driver side mount to clear my stock iron exhaust manifolds.

Oooohhhh, I just felt a Hardcore chill go up my spine.
thanks for that info.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Put the rad in the grill, mount the grill to the single bolt in the front crossmemeber then put the motor as close to the grill as you possibly can. Your distributor will clear the firewall and you'll end up with the best rear driveshaft angle possible. Assuming of course your fan to motor distance isn't stupid long. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the rad in the grill, mount the grill to the single bolt in the front crossmemeber then put the motor as close to the grill as you possibly can. Your distributor will clear the firewall and you'll end up with the best rear driveshaft angle possible. Assuming of course your fan to motor distance isn't stupid long. :flipoff2:
thanks, but the guy doing the motor/tranny/t-case work is also a bit of a stickler. it sucks working with people who don't want to hear the easy way to do something, the way someone's done it before, etc. this guy's gotta reinvent the wheel every single time he does something. it comes out clean and nice, but costs a fortune and wastes time. not so much with this swap, but other projects we've worked on. i just tell him "call me when it's my turn." anyway, i think it shouldn't be too hard to get the tub back on the rails and swing the motor over. thanks.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Buy the M.O.R.E ones they bolt in the stock location and offsets the motor to the pass. side and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
funny i have a set for sale. otherwise my advise would be the same buy the MORE mounts. usually at least two of the CJ motor mount hole line up and then you drill out two more and you are good to go. and yes they clear the HEI and using the MORE mounts and drilling a few new holes you can move the motor forward or Aft.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612987

1 - 10 of 10 Posts