Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 88 xj cherokee that i am swaping the 4.0 out of for a chevy 350 so i have the following Q's
1) i believe that the 88 xj has a t-4 transmission in it and they do sell a conversion kit so i can use the old transmission instead of screwing around with a new one so the question is will the transmission hold up to the extra torque and horse power of the 350?
2) does any one know where i can find pics from someone else doing this?(just a little inspiration)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Search "350 xj". If you don't find any write-ups, you'll find people who have done it. PM em and i'm sure they'll help you out. I'm pretty sure this has been done a few times.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
An '88 XJ did not come with a "T-4" tranny. The stock manual that came with the 4.0 was a Peugeot. The Peugeot is inadequate for a 4.0, and definitely won't hold up behind a 5.7L Chevy; so you'll have to swap it out for something stronger.
Advanced Adapters has various kits and information regarding swapping in a 350. Novac does as well. Use Google to search for info.
PS: I'd suggest you buy a red star so you can search this forum for info. There are many posts/threads on Pirate addressing the many problems you'll face during your conversion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
the adapters for for the peugeot tranny are crazy high priced and the trany is way to weak .if your stuck on a stick it would be cheaper to find a chevy one . or you could just put a auto from a s10 with the 4.3 it has the 231c transfercase wich hase the heavy duty chain. I got my moter mounts and headers from advance adapters wich made it a nice quick and easy install.dont forget to think about cooling the v8 .i had A 4 core raditator built fore mine using the xj deminsions .i use 2 electric xj fans and have ran it for 2 years never over heated yet:flipoff2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts