Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chevy 350. trying to find tdc so I can time my engine. I know you have to watch the exhaust valve(?) but how exactly do you find it?
I think htat's what it is......My engine has NO power, overheats BAD, letting off the gas I get a pop and sometimes flames out of the exhaust pipe, backfires out of the throttle body, and the headers glow red.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: E*R*O*K ]

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Pull the plug on #1. Stick your finger in the hole and turn the engine until you feel compression. Line up the mark on the harmonic balancer with the 0 mark on timing scale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Stick your finger in the hole" thats a good idea. alot easier than feel for the piston and watching valves move up and down, thanks

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
For turning the engine I like about 6' of 12 ga. zip cord with a big heavy-duty momentary pushbutton switch on one end and a couple of good sized alligator clips on the other. Hook it to the starter solenoid and you can usually park the engine pretty close to TDC. Sure beats trying to yell at someone in the cab.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if i was going to guess i would say you probably have the timing advanced an obcene amount, judging by the overheating, but you should also check over all the ignition components, like make sure you dont have a couple plug wires switched

1 - 5 of 5 Posts