Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 k1500 5speed. It runs fine getting on it but never will idle. I have no idea what to do. I have replaced fuel filter, dumped tank, Iac,Tps, egr, map, and ignition relay and even the Ecu/Ecm and the prom chip. Please help I have no vehicle sometimes

·
Registered
1979 F150 351w np435 on 37s. 1995 YJ 4Banger with 5speed on 31s. 2000 XJ 4.0 auto on 31s.
356 Posts
Do you have a vacuum leak somewhere? That might be causing some of the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked this morning I have no vacuum leaks anywhere and the throttle shaft and all body gaskets are new. Can the distributer be part of the no idle??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try a water temp sensor, A wrong temp reading can cause issues. You can also check with a reader if you have one available.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought a 88 Chevy that had the same issue. Threw a bunch of parts at it. Got burned out on trying to fix the issue. I cleaned out the toolbox that was in the bed and there was a extra ecm. I swapped it out and the thing ran great. May see if you have a buddy or can source a used one to try. Gl!

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Theres a little step motor in the throttle body. It's a step motor that controls high idle when cold. If it fails, it won't idle. Cheap fix if that's the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In order of repair- !st try resetting the neutral position on IAC by unplugging it and another plug (sorry memory going can't see it to remember maybe TPS) Called a re-learn I believe. The object is to find the neutral spot between 0-100 percent where it idles,and computer resets that as zero and trims speed better because it wont go to zero. Procedure is something like start truck , unplug both, plug in one, shut off truck,restart, plug in other, shut off truck restart...... last one to plug is IAC. Takes 3 restarts.
Item 2 - distributor reluctor- remove cap, see if reluctor really rusty and flaking, if so replace
item 3 - welch plug on Throttle body- remove plug with small drill bit and screw, adjust idle screw behind it to about 500 rpm with IAC closed. that keeps the engine from quitting when idling down,and IAC doesn't have to travel so far open. Redo IAC relearn. Also recheck timing with wire by brake booster unplugged. A few degrees advanced ok, retarded not.
My old 87 and bosses 90 needed all the above. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts