Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to put a 460 in my rig it has a 351m in it. are there any years of 460 that wont work and will lincoln and mercury 460s work to? TIRED OF 351M

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The older ones have higher compression, more torque, more hp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going into a 77F250 Dana 44 front - 60 rear-410 gears-205 transfer case-7 inch lift-35" tires

·
Registered
493 Posts
You didn't mention which tranny...just make sure you use the correct flywheel...The 351M and 400 are both EXTERNALLY balanced, while the 429/460 are INTERNALLY balanced.

The flywheels will bolt up to either, but the wrong one will obviously put the engine out of balance.

What's wrong with the 351M??? I'm just gonna run mine till she blows, THEN worry about replacing it. They reallyar ok engines, just need a little money thrown their way.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
351 ok but want more power , more like around 375 to 425 horse i will soon put a d60 in the front, it has a 4 speed tranny with non syncro 1st and reverse.its a weekend warrior on any type of action that is available, muddin,snow,hauling firewood so on so forth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is my grandads old truck that he got brand newin 77 always wanted it finaly got it,anyhow my dad saya they had option to get it with 460 ive heard that was not an option

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
The 460 wasn't availabe in a 4X4 till '83. The 460's before '79 are internally balanced, you will need a flywheel from a 390. (ford didnt have commonly available any stick shft 429/460's in the '70's) If its after '79, any 460 flywheel will work. Do yourself a favor and get a flywheel that will accept a 12" clutch. You might have to clearnace the belhousing to clear it. To tell which flywheel you will need, look behind the harmonic balancer, if there is a counterweight, any 460 flywheel should work, if there isnt, you need to find a FE flywheel (352. 360, 390). You want manifolds from a truck, or a van, passenger car ones wont clear the frame. Get 2wd 390 truck motor mounts and make them work. It will save you at least $100 on mounts alone

Hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for being so informitive i have access to most of the parts mentioned from a freind who owns a salvage yard with many older vehicles in it

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
while you are at it, if you get a FE flywheel, make sure that there is enough meat on it so that your clutch springs on the disc wont grab the heads of the bolts on the back of the crank. There is flywheel bolts available that have a shorter head than a stock bolt. Do not grind the stock bolts to make them work. (Dont ask me how I know this... :(

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts