Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Alright. As much as I hate it, I'll be the one to do it...
You need to do a SEARCH. Obviously, it has been done before, and covered many, many times. Search for things like Lift kit for Samurai, Samurai lift kit, etc, you get the picture. Not to mention the fact that you can open any magazine on the shelf and find info. It may be better for you do just browse for a while, read some articles, check out some trail write ups and then decide what you want to use your Sammi for. That will determine if you need a spring over, bigger axles, a store-bought lift kit, etc.
The SEARCH button is up and to your right, or at the bottom of the page. Good luck...

·
Registered
600 Posts
spoa with tall axle perches bds 4" lift springs 1-1/2 lift shackles 3" body lift then the trick i used was to get 10" rims with 2" or less back spacing so the tires dont eat the springs when you turn ..it will be useless offroad without 5.12's and a grs 1 or 2but it will look cool i did it on my first sammi back in 1989 thats my 2 cents next time use the search :D

oops i almost forgot:flipoff2:

:D :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Actually, I have a much simpler way to do it than what was previously suggested. Drop it off at my house and write me a check. I'll "fix" it for you.:D You want what? 42s and portals? We can do that! But, I'll now need TWO CHECKS!

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Change axles, gear ratios, and t-case gears.
The stock axles are limites to 31 to 32-inch tires.

Unless your building a MALL CRUISER.

If your stock, try a spring over and 31's, lockers, and t-case gears.
You'll be surprised that you'll go better than heeps on 33's, and comparable to a lot that are on 35's.

A lot of guys on this board are on 35's, it requires more than a lift if your going to wheel it.

Welcome:flipoff2:

I know it's beat to death, but use the search.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is all great Bullshit but I have 5.12 lockers f/r grs1 tcase and a 1600 I think I can qualify to run 35 thanks I just want to knowhow to do it with getting to tall.

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Spring-over, sawzall the crap out of your Sammy. SPOA kits are relatively cheap.....BUT....your Sammy axles won't like running 35"s and being locked. Your front will go "Bang!". The biggest tire a Sammy axle likes is 32". A Toy axle swap would be better for 35"s. That's what I'm doing, with YJ springs, 35"s, spool rear/locker front, and Hy-Steer.

But you could have found all this out yourself had you searched, as we suggested. Try it next time.

Hef

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ease up on the 'Tude, Mo. That's a good way to lose freinds. I think EVERYONE who has responded to this has been biting their tounges at not saying something like "Search, you fawking Newbie!" or "Try reading the FAQ's, Newbie!" I just got finished defending schmucks like you, don't make me regret it, or I'll feed you to the Animals here.:mad:

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
twistedmetal said:
Ease up on the 'Tude, Mo. That's a good way to lose freinds. I think EVERYONE who has responded to this has been biting their tounges at not saying something like "Search, you fawking Newbie!" or "Try reading the FAQ's, Newbie!" I just got finished defending schmucks like you, don't make me regret it, or I'll feed you to the Animals here.:mad:

Mo never posted in this thread. :confused:

Hef

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fatboy1097 said:
This is all great Bullshit but I have 5.12 lockers f/r grs1 tcase and a 1600 I think I can qualify to run 35 thanks I just want to knowhow to do it with getting to tall.

You can get all that done, but you cant figure out how to fit 35's? :confused: I bet that post will get you tons of help...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
Depends on how much sheet metal you want to keep.
Pick your poison.

You can easily run 33's without trimming using alot of different spring combos.

Rear springs up front and cj front springs in the rear is an easy bolt on swap that will get you over 33's
That and a 2-inch body lift should get you over 35's.

I'm not much on body lifts though.

Tell us a what your running right now, and what your skills are and we could probably help you alot better.
Stock springs?
lift springs?
what type of lift?

Check some of the vendor's web sights too.
They will tell you what tires their kit will let you run.

To re-hash what everyone has said.
Axle strength/longevity is going to be a big issue on 35's

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right now I have rears in the front w/ missing link and cj springs in the back. I have done a few four links and coils, stuff like that I can figure almost anything out i just want an Idea what other people a doing . As far as axles go my rear tacoma housing is being built right now so i can do the toy swap.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sounds like your good to go with the hardware.
Now your choice is to loose some weight and go on the the Sawzall Diet plan or get all High and mighty with some lifted springs to go under it.

Personally, I like the sawzall diet plan. thats what I'm doing.

Now where did I put that blue tip wrench.............:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts