Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running 31's right now with 3.90's. My engine ('81 22R) is VERY suped up and has about 2x stock power. It drives fine now and actualy really hauls ass. It has no problem doing 90 on the freeway or spinning the tires all the way through 3rd. It was built as a race truck and wieghs about 1700 lbs.

how much worse would 35's with 4.375 be than 31's with 3.90??

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well. Before I got my 5.29s i was running 35s on 4.10s with my 22r stock engine. I could hit 70 in 4th with full throttle. Sooooo. If you're gonna do a lot of Highway travel go lower gears or v6-8 horsepower.

I don't relaly know how much it would be to go with a bigger engine but i'd imagine it would be much more than just getting lower gears. Cuz I paid $450 from Reider Racing for 5.29's and install kits. And then $200 a diff for them to be installed.

From what i know about 4 cyl axles is that if you're gonna be using a lot more power you'll have to get beefier axles.. dana 44-60s?

Just my thoughts... cuz i hated topping out at 70... and that was downhill. But lower gears REALLY do help. A LOT i guess in my case.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your trucks weighs 1700#??????? :rolleyes:
I ran 35's with 4.37's and i run 36's now with 4.37's, its no rocket but it does ok. 4th is now my overdrive on the highway is about what it equates to. I wouldn't want to go faster anyways cause my 36's aren't very round. In town i leave my front case in low range.
For me it works, but for you it might not. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
329 Posts
You have two names???
You drive the 1700# truck daily???
If I had money to buy lotsa hi-po lightweight parts and build that race engine I think I'd just not give a crap and buy 5.29's.

Thanks for the kind words. :flipoff2:

Corey

·
Registered
30 Posts
'80Toad said:
You have two names???
You drive the 1700# truck daily???
If I had money to buy lotsa hi-po lightweight parts and build that race engine I think I'd just not give a crap and buy 5.29's.

Thanks for the kind words. :flipoff2:

Corey
Nope, I'm not MSJ, but I am His brother. He bought the truck for his daily driver in the current condition, all the work was done before, so he doesn't have the $$$ just to go out and buy 5.29's.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
If he bought the truck with the work already done, he should have plenty of $$$ to go out and buy 5.29's :D

But I think you can live with it, but no it is not ideal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
If he bought the truck with the work already done, he should have plenty of $$$ to go out and buy 5.29's :D

But I think you can live with it, but no it is not ideal.

What's the logic there? Yeah, he got a good deal on the truck for the amount of work done on it. Still doesn't mean he has any extra $$$ for 5.29's, if he did, he wouldn't be asking about this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Who buys a 1700# full on race truck for a daily driver???
You can't put groceries in the bed cause there isn't one!!!!

Just messin with you dawg. I just find it a little odd someone drives a race truck everyday and worries about proper gearing for 35's. Personally I'd worry about where to buy my race gas.
:flipoff2:

Corey

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I run 4.37's with 35 sx's and a tired 22re. On the trail, being I'm ultimate doubled, no problem. On the street, 3rd is about my top gear. I can hold about 60 going down hill in 4th. 5th is only good in low range. With a less aggressive tire, like a BFG, I would probably do a little better (less weight to spin, and rounder). If I have to go any distance, I trailer it to the trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts